News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

anyone here???

Started by mobile_bob, October 07, 2009, 12:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

jeesh, what has happened to everyone?

don't tell me you have a life outside of these engines!!!

there is no such thing, if you are truely infected with the dreaded castiron disease
you wake  up nights thinking of all sorts of things related to that hunk of cast out
in the garage or shed.

taking a look at those that have signed up here as members, and there are quite a few
that have not even posted a single thing???

whats that about?

surely you can ask a question?  or post some idea's?  project pictures?  a big fat screw you?
something? 

:)

its obvious that we could use more members from various walks of life, to bring in some experience
we might be light in... surely everyone knows someone they have in their circle that they might invite to come
take a look?

we got a forum to build here fella's, time for everyone to come back from "break time" and get back at it!!!

hows that for a kick in the ass?

:)

bob g

(ps, i just don't want this place to go away because of lack of interest, if i didn't have you guys to argue with
i would have to go back to argueing with my exwife, and that really really sucks)

bschwartz

Stop your whining Bob!!!  ;D

How's that?
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

rcavictim

Well I've made an effort but I am totally busy right now on my wind turbine project if you must know!  These things don't build themselves.  Geeze!  :D
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

AdeV

I'm still here, but I've had nothing to talk about recently, work interfering with my hobbies, etc. And today I've mainly been playing with my new semi-universal dividing head on the mill. Managed to make a perfect 5/8" AF bolt head, 1st time, totally by accident! Also, made a chuck key from some square bar stock. Had to mill the welds flat afterwards, they were a total disgrace. I fully expect the key to disintegrate the first time I use it in anger  ::)

SO.... I now have a Bridgeport mill, with swivel vice, dividing head, plenty of cutters & drills... just need a project to do on it! Like maybe a heat exchanger eh Bob?  ;)  ;D
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Henry W

Yea I'm still here.

Worked on taxes since monday. Glad it's done.

October 15th is the deadline for extension filers.

Henry

billswan

Bob

I am here to it is just not cold enough in Minnesota yet to start up my 10/1.

Am also in the midst of harvest so no time for much else............

Excuses excuses excuses  ;D

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

vdubnut62

It's firewood cuttin' time in Tennessee!
( or as it's pronounced by natives  "farwood") :D
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

harv_44

I guess I'll make this my first post(just because you asked nice Bob)

Went down and started the 20/2 this weekend just because it hadn't been run in a while. Started first time by the way.

Seems like the sound of that engine sure is soothing or am I just mental :P

I like this forum I believe it will do well.Thanks to the guys who put their time and effort into it.

Harv

mkdutchman

ok, I'll post too, just cuz you asked  ;D

I don't have a lot to say just now either, due to unforseen priorities taking over I'll have to put my entire energy management system-in-design on hold for awhile....... :(

I'm definitely not giving it up, just putting it on hold for awhile
2 Metro 6/1s running off grid, charging a 48v battery bank, for primary power and CHP
3 Outback 1548 1500W inverters in a 3phase layout
1 Samlex 1500W inverter for 110AC

Dave

I am stuck on the fuel lines and the radiator hoses going from my 24/2. I decided to replace the fuel filter and the stock fuel tank. I found a 20 gallon aluminum tank in great shape. I have the engine and 15kw head with the bearings replaced mounted on the custom "railyard" frame. I mounted a radiator and a braket for a DC alternator. Fuel tank is going to be mounted to the barn wall. Standard intake and mufflers, waiting for a vision of customization.

I realize I have no skill in fabricating fuel lines using brake line. I ended up buying a 20 foot roll after turning several straight pieces into pretzels. How do I strighten out the roll so I can bend it? Do you put the bubble flare on the ends?
Does it still fit in the fittings if the connections are not made for brakes?
How do you run the overflow lines back to the tank? It looks like 1/8" tubing. Can run the lines uphill into the tank? Two feet?

Where the heck do you find custom radiator hoses?

What are the people in India using for pipe threading? I tried hooking up some standard pipe fittings to the engine and the fit is real sloppy. Anybody else seen this? How do you fix this? Lots of teflon tape? Where do you find Indian pipe fittings?

How am I doing Bob?

Dave in South Florida, USA

veggie

I think the forums work in waves.
A flurry of writings and discussions, then everyone gets ideas and disappears for a bit to work on their projects.
Then someone comes along with an interesting topic and things take off again.
Things will be fine. We have enough diversified boards on this forum to interest many users.

Veggie

vdubnut62

Whoa Dave, take a breath! ;)
  To straighten out the roll, have your Significant Other, Child, Friend or other unsuspecting Victim, stand on the end,
then start unrolling it on the floor. That should get it straight enough to work with. Go down to the auto parts store and drop a few bucks on a tubing bender, that will stop you from kinking the line.

I'm not sure by what you mean by "bubble flare"?  Ferrule? It depends on what your particular engine uses to seal fuel lines. It is my understanding that the Indian clones have weird fittings on the fuel lines.

The return lines can be run uphill. Two feet should be no problem at all.  You can just tee back into the main fuel line at a convenient point, BUT
if you get a lot of air into the system, it makes purging problematic.

Custom radiator hoses.
Parts store. Ask for "One of them fits all universal hoses 'bout so long an so big."  Hold your hands the appropriate distance
apart, and have a piece of the old one for diameter. (or you could do it the easy way and have measurements written down)
You may have to adapt from one size to the other with standard hardware fittings.

Pipe threading.
The people in India, from what I understand, continue to use pipe taps long after their useful life is over. Or as we southern rednecks say'
"Till after they're wore plum slap dab out".
Maybe you could run a good tap through the flange and fix the threads? I am not sure if they are British, metric or NPT standard.
I understand that there is a new flange available that was originally meant for a hot water circulator pump. Somewhere on the net
I saw a part number and supplier listed, could have been on the old forum. Maybe one of the Senior members could help?
Or take yours off, and take it to a GOOD hardware/building supply (not Slows or Home Default) and ask if they have anything that looks like it.

I hope this helps, just remember that my advice is probably worth what you paid for it.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Crofter

Where instrumentation fitting is being done the tubing is unrolled and it is stretched taught and winds up arrow straight and stiff. Commony you use two gate valves as a gripper for the inserted tubing and short nipples with a ring welded on goes in the other end of each valve to allow hooking on a chainfall, comealong or slide hammer to stretch it. Sure makes a difference in the crispness and appearance of the work.

Do a google on British Straight Pipe thread and on stadard tapered pipe thread. A totally diffent mechanism of contact creates the actual seal. Bodging up the threads with cotton yarn and pipe dope is what the Listeroid serfs do and we usually are a bit more sophisticated in that we use Teflon tape.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

vdubnut62

Crofter, I can't wrap my brain around the gate valves.
Is there a reason for not just using a couple of unions?
Just curious. Ron

JohnF

Dave;

No need to make new fuel lines.  The high pressure lines from the IP to the injector pump are readily available (I have bunches) but I "think" you are asking about the ones going from the tank to the filter to the I.P.  If that is what you are looking for so this:

Take the banjo bolt off the I.P. and cut off the crimped part, this will allow the line to be taken off.  Underneath you will see it is barbed - just get the appropriate sized (and I'm saying that 'cause I can't remember what size I used!) automotive fuel hose and you have as much as you need (The stuff comes in 25 foot rolls from your friendly NAPA store)  You can also get brass fittings to join or split lines.  (Have a look at my website www.woodnstuff.ca under "New Genshed" and you will see my setup)  If you want to add a filter in the line, use something standard that will take barbed fittings.  Gear clamps are your friend!

Returns can be stupid easy as there is not much coming from the injector overflow - I just run a line from the injector to a 4 litre jug on the floor, I empty it about once a month or so, just pop the fuel back into your tank.

For radiator lines - again, friendly NAPA store and get heater hose of an appropriate size -  find 1" works well for me.  If your rad takes larger stuff, just get short pieces of rad hose and neck it down.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!