News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Kubota Z482 Direct Drive Genset.

Started by Henry W, October 07, 2010, 07:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

A Cummins/Markon BL105G single bearing generator head became available at a good price so I decided to change the genset again. ::) For the price I could not refuse not to change the setup. It is rated at 7.5kw with Motor starting capability of twice the full-load current.

The Hayes housing assembly with stubshaft was returned for credit and Hayes manufacturing sent me a housing assembly to direct drive the Cummins/Markon Generator head. I saved almost $100.00 on this setup.

Some of you are probably thinking why I want to run the Kubota Z482 engine at 3600 rpm. Well I need  7kw so this is one way and the Kubota will pull that load with no problem. This unit will be my portable emergency stand by unit. I also know the Z482 engine runs very smooth at 3600 so I feel it still should last 4000 hrs with good care.

This will not be my permenant Genset. It will be standby untill I get a permenant CHP unit built. And than the Z482, Cummins/Markon will be the back up once the CHP unit is complete. The CHP unit will most likely be direct drive and run 1800 rpm.

Another thing is if we ever have to Bug Out :o the portable can be towed or put in a truck and moved any place. 8)

The weight of the genset without trailer, fuel tank and cover will be around 300 Lbs.

I will start posting pictures soon.

Henry

Henry W

The generator is mounted. I managed to get the stub shaft flange centered on the flywheel pretty good. it is only .00043 off center!! Talking about luck. I was shooting for .0015
Time to start making a frame and mount the thing. I will use 3 vibration mounts . Two on the engine and one on the genhead.

From front of radiator to back of Generator end cover the total length is 32"

I will try to take some pictures this weekend.

Henry

Geno

I'm looking forward to the pics.

I got my bell housing last week. I wonder if it's the one you returned.

Thanks, Gene

Henry W

Did they give you a good discount? If they did it is a good ghance it could be the setup I sent back. There was nothing with the setup. Very well made.

Henry

mobile_bob

how about some pic's, bet it is a nice tight package

bob g

Henry W

I Bob,
I will take some pictures tomorrow morning.
For what it is, it is a pretty compact direct drive genset.
I can't wait to see how it runs. Before I fire it up I need to mount it properly.

Henry

Henry W

Henry W

I fired the genset up and did a test run with no load and everything looks fine.
a. very low vibration at 3600 rpm.
b. frequency (Hz) are very stable.
c. Readings are very good: 240 volts @ 60.13 Hz

Once I mount the genset properly on the trailer I can start load testing.

Henry

Henry W

I could not wait to do a load test so I clamped everything down with Vise Grips and put a good load on it for one hour.

Readings:
Hz----------59-60

Volts--------238-240

Amps-------Aprox. 30

Watts-------Aprox. 7,200

Genhead----warm but not warm enough to take your hand off.

Engine------3600RPM, Nice load, Exhaust clear, Engine was not straining it could of handled more of a load. The engine is a good match for a 7,500 watt 2 pole genhead running direct drive.

Flicker------None

I believe this genset will be limited to what the genhead can handle. The genhead was almost maxed out. rated full load is 31.25 Amps.

Henry

wrightkiller

That's one fine lookin setup Brother ...Good job Mate... ;D ;D

Henry W

Thanks wrightkiller,

I hope to get the frame finished and engine mounted in a couple weeks. Then it will be time to make a good quality electrical box that mounts on the top of the genhead.

A Fuel tank needs to be fit. Still thinking of this: https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=4-1755&catname=air

Henry

mobile_bob

that tank is very common and used on semi trucks and trailers, so rather than pay shipping you might want to look
up a semi trailer parts supplier in your area and look at their stock tanks

they will be priced very close to what surpluscenter wants and you can see it first, and of course pay no freight.

bob g

Jfamily

Hello Henry,

I am interest making a generator with a D722.
Can you please point me in the right direction for the bellhousing and flywheel you used in your direct drive z482 setup. I am assuming they are both SAE #5 and the mounting is the same for the d722. I have spoken with Mike at Hayes and he says there is no stock SAE couplings available for direct drive the D732 so I am very curious to find out where you sourced your kit.

Regards,

Tony

pressurepro

Check out his 1005 setup ... I think it's the same but I could be wrong. ...

Henry W

Hi Tony,

Welcome aboard!

What generator head you are planning to work with?

I have learned lots about the Kubota Super Mini series engines since I built the Z482 setup. I felt running a 2-pole 3600 rpm generator head direct drive stressed the Z482 engine out so I sold the setup and built the D1005, 1800 rpm genset which I like very much.

The Kubota Super Mini series engines such as the Z482 and the D722 do not like running at 1800 rpm's. And at 3600 rpm's I feel there will be a tradeoff of longevity and reliability. I found these engines like to be ran between 2600-2800 rpm's. This is where they seem to run very nicely.

About a Super Mini series flywheel and housing assembly to Direct drive a single bearing Markon BL105G. Hayes did make a direct drive setup. Here is the item # 930135

With having experiance on these engines my recommendation is to make a belt drive genset. The engine will be quieter and more reliable.

Here is a Hayes setup that I should of stayed with: http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=1157.0

Henry