OK, so finally I am in the game, with a Deutz genset !

Started by Westcliffe01, September 04, 2010, 10:49:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westcliffe01

This weekend, (start of my vacation, Finally), I spotted a listing on Craigslist that I could hardly believe:

Generator Unit (Monroe, MI)
Date: 2010-08-28, 2:41PM EDT
Reply to:

This unit was a portable light tower. The light unit got damaged. Diesel motor runs good and generator works fine. Can be started and ran. Does not come with battery or fuel tank. $700.00/OBO

DEUTZ AG
Motor FM1008
2005 1028CC Displ 10,000 rated power
EPA Family ID 5DZXL01.4029
Fuel type – 2D diesel or equivalent
Liquid cooled

LeRoy Somer Partner Alternator
LSA 37M6 A ¼
No. 185794/142 60 hz
Min. RPM 1800 Protection IP23

Tension voltage 240 V
Phase 1
Conn. SE
Cont 6 kVa
Base 6.6 KW

Needless to say, I made haste and drove there this morning and confirmed that the price was indeed $700, it was started and ran and has only 1500 hours on the hobbs meter.  So I handed over the money and I can get started...

Plans are to fit an oxidation catalyst, wrap the exhaust manifold and catalyst in an insulation blanket and then fit an exhaust heat exchanger.  I think I will be purchasing an electric water heater, which I will plumb the coolant and exhaust heat exchangers into with 2 circulation pumps to keep the fluid flowing through the exhaust exchanger and through the hot water heater.   If there is no other load, the genset can power the electric heater element, which will drop out if a greater electric load is applied.

First order of business is to make a small cart to hold the engine and genset and get it off the pallet.  I will ultimately be relieving the engine of its radiator and fan, to cut parasitic losses and later perhaps the 12v alternator too.   One step at a time...

The attached pictures are from the craigslist listing and I will try to get better ones once I have it unloaded.

Keith
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

LowGear

Looks awfully modern.  It sure turns on the design part of the gray matter.  Very nice hit.

Casey

squarebob

That was a great find. I search craigslist daily for stuff. You never know what will pop up. Keep us posted on your progress.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

rcavictim

Nice score!  I didn't know that Deutz made liquid cooled engines.  Never seen one b4.  That is way more desireable in a cogen plant.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Westcliffe01

Well, so far I managed to track down an operations manual on the internet.  I found a factory manual, but the hosting site wanted money to download it, so I will do some more searching first.

A few things that surprised me were:
1) Overhead camshaft
2) Unit injectors (each injector incorporates its own high pressure cam driven pump)

So this really is a "modern" engine, compared to the Kubota's and the Isuzu's out there with their conventional injection pumps...

a few pictures out of the operation manual I found
Bought 36 acres in Custer County Colorado.  Now to build the retirement home/shop

rcavictim

Actually having a separate cam driven injection pump for each injector is the old fashioned way to do it.  From a maintenance/cost angle this is actually a good system IMO.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Westcliffe01

A little more investigation reveals that the water pump is driven under the cover by the cam belt.  This means that removal of the alternator, engine fan and its drive belt will be a piece of cake.

According to the factory manual, (in german, but I can read that) the cam belt replacement interval is 2500 hours and engine rebuild is 5000 hours.  I expect that given that the engine is rated to 3600rpm but is operated at only 1800 in this application, that TBO may be somewhat higher.

Westcliffe01

Is there anyone in the group using "off the shelf" shell and tube heat exchangers like this ?
http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/heatingproducts/HydronicHeating/heatexchangers/shellandtube/shellandtubebuypage.asp

Prices seem reasonable, it looks like these are 316

There are also plate type heat exchangers like this one:
http://www.altheatsupply.com/index.php/shop-by-needs/heat-exchanger/brazed-plate-exchanger/100-plate-water-to-water-heat-exchanger.html

Same place has copper Nickel (Monel) heat exchangers that are more expensive, but can be disassembled for cleaning.  This would probably be a good idea for any exhaust heat exchanger.
http://www.altheatsupply.com/index.php/shop-by-needs/heat-exchanger/coopernickel-exchangers/ejb-heat-exchanger-1-hot-1-1-2-cold-npt-connections.html

Westcliffe01

I stand corrected.  This is not an electronically controlled pump/injector, rather an old fashioned rack controlled series of pumps.  I guess in comparison to a rotary or in line style injector pump, this does give one the possibility to adjust injector timing on each cylinder, but that could be a double edged sword...  The factory manual has a section on checking and adjusting pump timing, so I will have to read that in some detail.  I ended up paying $5 to scribd.com to download the manual.

Deutz certainly has gone to some trouble trying to integrate as much as possible on the engine, instead of slapping on individual pieces until they have an engine.

I am about 80% through stacking the load of firewood that was delivered yesterday, then I can turn my attention to getting the genset unloaded.

Quote from: rcavictim on September 04, 2010, 04:57:20 PM
Actually having a separate cam driven injection pump for each injector is the old fashioned way to do it.  From a maintenance/cost angle this is actually a good system IMO.

mobile_bob

what you are describing sounds a lot like the detroit diesel 2 cycle engine unit injectors
wherein they were cam lobe driven via lifter and rocker arm and had individual fuel racks one on each injector

you set the injector lift height for timing and the injector rack for fuel balance between cylinders, basically
if you had a cylinder hittng a bit harder you could tweak the affect injectors rack just a bit to soften that cylinder
and get it into line.

bob g

d34

Quote from: Jens on September 05, 2010, 10:37:40 AM
I use brazed plate heat exchangers for water/coolant service and I use a giant tube and shell unit for exhaust gas hear capture (ends are removable for cleaning)
Do u have any pics of the exhaust heatex?
GM90 6/1 ST5 (ready for emergency)
Changfa ZS1105GNM with 10kw gen head
S195 no gen head
1600 watts of solar panels are now here waiting for install
2635 watts of solar panels, Outback 3648 & 3048 Inverters, MX60, Mate
840Ah (20 hr rate) 48v battery bank & 660Ah (8 hr rate) 48v battery bank

Westcliffe01

I finally unloaded the genset today.  Was somewhat tricky, being alone and with not much space between the top of the motor and the inside of my truck cap...

I recorded a short video of it being run after washing it a bit and installing a new battery.

I have a small fuel leak on the line going into the fuel filter, I will have check into.   Other than that, it runs nice.

Keith

Here is the link to the youtube video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5ENOzMjTZY

Westcliffe01

Westcliffe01

mobile_bob

looks like you got a deal of the year and depending on your location, perhaps the deal of a lifetime

any diesel engine that starts and runs that nicely has lots of life left in it.

sweet!

bob g

ps. if you want your money back, let me know!
heck i would even pay you a couple hundred extra for your trouble!
:)