News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Old Kubotas

Started by squarebob, August 24, 2010, 08:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarebob

Does anyone know anything about these engines. I can pick these two up for a song but don't know a thing about them. Nor does the guy selling them. Are they water cooled? Are parts available?
Thanks
Bob

GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

vdubnut62

They ARE water cooled, and I think somebody around here has one of them, this one is kinda close.

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=801.0

The kubota's seem to be  rather expensive engines to purchase new.  The ones you are looking at MAY have been on a portable electric sign.
Sorry I don't know much, but if they had compression, were cheap, and I happened to have the extra cash, I would drag them home ;D ;D.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

XYZER

Ron was right....good memory!

Here is mine

I have made some good discoveries sence the the original post. The manual says my  "Kubota EA500-NB"
uses 1/2 quart more than the smaller models but if you add the extra 1/2 quart it pukes. They made a 500,450,400,and a 350. It is a sweet running engine and works perfect.....I have not been able to find a parts source yet....
Dave
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

RogerAS

Yep that's a 300 series engine, just like mine, except mine is stripped down (no tank, guards, primer of other frills.

One could still get parts from these guys.

http://www.southeasternpower.com/mission.htm

I found all the parts I needed to do a complete overhaul on my first such engine. Don't know if they still stock those parts. Good folks to deal with and reasonable prices. Somebody with daytime access needs to call them and report back to us.

R

ETA:

I just found the page within the same web site where they still list these engines, so I assume parts are available. Here's a link to their page on these engines.

http://www.southeasternpower.com/easeries.htm

squarebob

Roger, Thanks for the link. Looks like I found two EA300N engines. The guy told me they have the hand crank. I will be going to look at them tomorrow and I would guess I will come home with them. They are complete but he said one has a hole in the case, good for a parts motor. He is asking 200.00 for both. I will offer 150.00 and work from there. I will keep you all up to date on what happens.

Bob

RogerAS

Quote from: squarebob on August 24, 2010, 05:42:40 PM
Roger, Thanks for the link. Looks like I found two EA300N engines. The guy told me they have the hand crank. I will be going to look at them tomorrow and I would guess I will come home with them. They are complete but he said one has a hole in the case, good for a parts motor. He is asking 200.00 for both. I will offer 150.00 and work from there. I will keep you all up to date on what happens.

Bob

OMG! $200?!

If only one is a good core you will get a great engine in the long run. I think I paid something around $650 for a complete kit. That's a new crank, all bearings, rod with wrist pin and rings, sleeve and a rebuilt head and a gasket set. So even if both engines are trash you can still have a really nice little engine with very little work. The only tough part of these engines is the timing gears and oil pump, which are housed on the side of the engine away from the flywheel, and even that isn't rocket science.

I have an extra flywheel with the starter gear if those are hand crank only models. There is a plate that bolts to the flywheel side of the engine for the starter motor. Sorry, no extra starter motor but I think I still have an extra plate.

My version has a pivot point cast into a plate on the opposite end of the crankcase from the head for an alternator, which may be an EL option. The engine I found that is running now didn't have that type of plate and was smooth.

I cannot express what a life saver the little Kubota has been for my wife and myself. If you make the deal please let us (me) know. We might make a trade on some parts! I also have an extra head that has the larger injector hole than my EL. It seems in good shape, but I've never ran it.

I have the shop manual for these engines and if you need any data from that publication just let me know.

Great find!

R

squarebob

Electric start would be a nice option as I am the rugged indoor type!!! Hope to come home with the two tomorrow. Glad to see you have a manual, that might come in handy. Will keep all informed to the "deal or no deal"
Bob

Henry W

Quote from: squarebob on August 24, 2010, 08:02:46 AM
Does anyone know anything about these engines. I can pick these two up for a song but don't know a thing about them. Nor does the guy selling them. Are they water cooled? Are parts available?
Thanks
Bob

Do you know if the blocks are aluminum or iron.

If it is iron it is not a 300 series engine. But stll a very good buy for what you are getting them for. A matter of fact if they are iron they are a more robust engine than the 300 series. There are model numbers stamped on the block some place.

Let us know how it works out.

Henry

squarebob

As my mind is going 100 MPH thinking about the pending purchase and how to best utilize the engine, I have come up with the following:

I need to match the alternator to the engine so I can run as close to full load as possible. Based on the attached graphs, If I use my 75 amp 24v alt. I will be very close to full load. At 2500 RPM the engine puts out a little over 5 Hp and 11 Ft Lb torque. Looking at the alt. graph, at 2500 RPM, it requires just under 5 HP and 10 Ft Lb torque and will put out about 63 Amps cold. This could lead to a direct couple set up and I would not have to deal with belt losses. Am I thinking clearly here?

OK, I'm off on a 100 mile drive to check out the engines

Bob

squarebob

OK, I am back from the trip to look at the Kubotas. One looks like it should run with little effort. The other is truly a parts motor.   The good one is an ER30 A1. The other is an ER30 N1. The tags say 272 cc AND 3.5 hp @ 2000rpm. Just too small for my needs. The guy has a bunch of hit & miss and maytags and other old iron all over the place. We keep talking and he tells me of his friend that has a grist mill that bought a Satyajeet GM90 6/1 about 5 years ago for the mill but decided to use a hit and miss instead. He tells me the guy is looking to get rid of the GM90. So I drive another 25 miles and here sits a brand new GM 90 still on the shipping crate and covered with a blanket. The guy tells me he bought it from Mike M in the Carolinas, he's never going to use it and that I can have it for.............sit down.......... $900.00. Well I will be picking it up on Saturday. This sure turned out to be my lucky day. I would assume I need to do a complete teardown and get the sand and crud out of the engine. Sure was a fun day!!!!! If anyone is interested in the Kubotas, I can put you in touch with the guy.

Bob

vdubnut62

When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Henry W

Quote from: squarebob on August 25, 2010, 06:35:48 PM
OK, I am back from the trip to look at the Kubotas. One looks like it should run with little effort. The other is truly a parts motor.   The good one is an ER30 A1. The other is an ER30 N1. The tags say 272 cc AND 3.5 hp @ 2000rpm. Just too small for my needs. The guy has a bunch of hit & miss and maytags and other old iron all over the place. We keep talking and he tells me of his friend that has a grist mill that bought a Satyajeet GM90 6/1 about 5 years ago for the mill but decided to use a hit and miss instead. He tells me the guy is looking to get rid of the GM90. So I drive another 25 miles and here sits a brand new GM 90 still on the shipping crate and covered with a blanket. The guy tells me he bought it from Mike M in the Carolinas, he's never going to use it and that I can have it for.............sit down.......... $900.00. Well I will be picking it up on Saturday. This sure turned out to be my lucky day. I would assume I need to do a complete teardown and get the sand and crud out of the engine. Sure was a fun day!!!!! If anyone is interested in the Kubotas, I can put you in touch with the guy.

Bob

A new GM90 6/1 !!!  Nice ;D
The GM90 that I had was spotless inside. But it would be wise to take cover plate off and check it out anyways.
Remember! Do not spin the engine faster than recomended RPM.

Mike still has parts for them.

Henry

Henry

RogerAS

Quote from: squarebob on August 25, 2010, 06:35:48 PM
OK, I am back from the trip to look at the Kubotas. One looks like it should run with little effort. The other is truly a parts motor.   The good one is an ER30 A1. The other is an ER30 N1. The tags say 272 cc AND 3.5 hp @ 2000rpm. Just too small for my needs. The guy has a bunch of hit & miss and maytags and other old iron all over the place. We keep talking and he tells me of his friend that has a grist mill that bought a Satyajeet GM90 6/1 about 5 years ago for the mill but decided to use a hit and miss instead. He tells me the guy is looking to get rid of the GM90. So I drive another 25 miles and here sits a brand new GM 90 still on the shipping crate and covered with a blanket. The guy tells me he bought it from Mike M in the Carolinas, he's never going to use it and that I can have it for.............sit down.......... $900.00. Well I will be picking it up on Saturday. This sure turned out to be my lucky day. I would assume I need to do a complete teardown and get the sand and crud out of the engine. Sure was a fun day!!!!! If anyone is interested in the Kubotas, I can put you in touch with the guy.

Bob

Bob,

Great leg work!

If you want to sell the little Kubota just let me know. I can use it as a backup to my 300.

Cool deal on the GM90. Kuck dog.

R

squarebob

Roger, sent you a PM

Bob