News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Overspeed

Started by oiler, August 08, 2010, 01:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oiler

Last night my stc quit generating at a time where both washer and dryer where on.
I ran down tho the engine and found it roaring at about 1100 RPM (6/1)!!!!!!!!
That was scaring!!!! Mostly because I have to go past it in order to kill it!!!

Does anyone know where to find an electronic govenor, "a ready to fit one"?
I have tryed to find one here, but had no luck so far.
Lister Startomatic 6/1 to be restored
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

veggie

Just a thought....

Perhaps one way to protect from over revving is to rig two voltage sensing relays to the output of the ST.
One opens if the voltage goes above the threshold (over revving)
One opens if the voltage falls below a threshold (ST quits, voltage falls to zero and the engine revs up).
This assumes one would want to kill the engine anytime the ST quits operating.

Both relays are wired in series to a solenoid which allows the rack to work while energized.
If either relay opens, the solenoid releases and a return spring closes the rack.

Something like this (voltage and current sensing relays)...
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?FamilyId=225&TrailType=Sub&Trail=907

Others on the forum are much more knowledgeable in electronics. Maybe someone can elaborate on such a system?

veggie

oiler

Thanks both of you. I'll look closer into these Murpy gauges , and get myself a decent governor.
The most important thing will be an emergency shutdown, or this engine will cost me my life......
Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

billswan

Oiler

So what happened, when the gen quit why did not the governor on the engine hold it at about 650 rpm +or-?

Did the belt come off?

On my 10/1 I had a circuit breaker open because the wire on it was lose causing it to heat up. That caused the load to drop and my 10/1 ran up in rpm, I had to run 100 feet to get to it  :P :P
Turned out my governor would control the engine ok under load but when the load completely left unexpectedly it had a hard time because it could not completely close the rack. The vertical linkage was just a little to long If i remember right.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

veggie

Quote from: oiler on August 08, 2010, 01:50:02 AM

On the bright side....you now know your flywheels are good. :)

veggie

vdubnut62

Quote from: veggie on August 11, 2010, 07:49:59 AM
Quote from: oiler on August 08, 2010, 01:50:02 AM

On the bright side....you now know your flywheels are good. :)

veggie

Man!! What a pucker factor that must have been. Just how tight is pucker cubed? I would have freaked.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

oiler

Billswan.  What happened was the soldered connection on the positive slipring failed.
The last month or so, the governor has become more and more lazy. This is the main reason foe me to find an electronic one, not an easy task here though >:(

Veggie. Yes they are indeed good, but it was a scary way of finding out.....

Ron. I did freak out, but there was no alternatives but to reach behind the flywheel :o :o

Everything is up and running again :) Still no emergency stop though  :-\

Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

luv2weld

QuoteJust how tight is pucker cubed?

I'd say enough to bite nails in half!!! :o

Ralph
6/1 with 5 kw ST       
8/1 with 7.5kw ST
28/2 with 24kw ST

I wouldn't need to manage my anger if people would learn to manage their stupidity!!

The best way to "kill time" is to work it to death!

highwater

[/quote]

Man!! What a pucker factor that must have been. Just how tight is pucker cubed? I would have freaked.
Ron
[/quote]

All the 2 seaters I learned to fly in had both left and right seats chewed up right down the middle between your checks.
When asked what happened here, the instructor simply said "you'll see". ;D

Randall

vdubnut62

All the 2 seaters I learned to fly in had both left and right seats chewed up right down the middle between your checks.
When asked what happened here, the instructor simply said "you'll see". ;D

Randall
[/quote]

Too funny! I laughed till I cried.

Oiler, If I thought it would happen again I'll be damned if I didn't rig a string to the compression release or a ball valve on the intake with a rope tied to it or something. I would have tried to choke it to death with a  from a distance with a water hose or ...... I don't think that I have the stones to walk up to it an do a manual shutdown.
I'm not too bright though...you never really know what you are capable of till it comes right down to it.
I'm really glad that everything worked out and nobody was injured. Underwear can be replaced.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

oiler

Well. It all happend so fast. No time to think, just act..... :o

It is my plan to rig a co2 bottltle up with a hose to the intake, and a second one to fight fire in the engine room.

Lister D 1937
Lister LT1

mike90045

Quote from: oiler on August 16, 2010, 05:51:58 AM
It is my plan to rig a co2 bottltle up with a hose to the intake, and a second one to fight fire the engine room.

I'll bet the bottle will empty before the flywheels coast down.

Any treatments for cast iron ?  Heat and slow cool down?  Cryogenic - Liquid Nitrogen, and then slow (5 day) warm up ? They use cryo treatments for other metals ...

sailawayrb

I can confirm that CO2 works very well for emergency shutdown.  I can't imagine another approach that would so ensure shutdown.  You do need to size regulator, hose, and all fittings to ensure that you achieve adequate gasoeus CO2 flow rate at engine intake to starve engine of O2.  I reckon a standard CO2 bottle would be adequate for several emergency shutdowns.  I designed my system so as to not be dependent on having any electrical power or human intervention to accomplish the task.

http://listerenginegallery.com/main.php?g2_itemId=351

Safety Precaution:  Since CO2 displaces O2, in a confined space it can also starve you of O2 and kill you!   :o

Bob B.

Horsepoor

Veggie,

Your B&B electronics post started me thinking and searching the web. I would love to find a reasonable commercially available over / under voltage relay that I could use for an over speed or under speed ST generator failure (I.e. Broken belt). However, I just cannot find one anywhere. I know there are people on the forum who have built very complex systems but I do not have the electronics background to replicate these systems. I am sure there are people on the forum that know what I am looking for and can direct me to a source. This is what I seek:

An over / under AC voltage sensing relay (230 VAC), with an adjustable time delay, and powered by 12 VDC is what I seek. The 12 VDC is critical because if my generator system fails, I want to use the 12 VDC system to trip and power the shut down process. In a perfect world, a high / low frequency sensor would be nice, but the one I found was over $300 and not affordable. 

Anyone with a commercially available AC voltage-sensing relay with this criteria please post a link so I can buy a couple and integrate them into my Listeroid systems.

Bruce

Lloyd

JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.