News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Just in case you wanted to know

Started by highwater, August 02, 2010, 11:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highwater

or not.........
about electric motor compliance with new efficiency standards.

http://e-ditionsbyfry.com/Olive/ODE/CTL/Default.aspx?href=CTL/2010/07/01

page 17

Randall

LowGear

Regulations, Regulations, and Regulations!

Just think how many billions of dollars that could still be in our economy if we had passed legislation 50 years ago mandating higher fuel standards.  Thank you Detroit for leading the way into yesteryear and economic stagnation.

How many thousands do you think their "good enough" attitude towards R&D has cost you?

Casey

mobile_bob

what amazes me is a corvette can have 400 plus hp and still do over 20 mpg

bob g

Crofter

Quote from: mobile_bob on August 03, 2010, 02:16:06 PM
what amazes me is a corvette can have 400 plus hp and still do over 20 mpg

bob g

Not when all of the 400 horses are drinking!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

LowGear

V8 Caddies used to cruise in at 25 MPG but the replacement computers were $900.  Have you seen the Top Gear youtube video on the diesel rally from Germany to the UK?  The diesel Jag got over 40 MPG US.

But what still blows me away is that the stupid ads on TV are still going "Zoom - Zoom".  Why has no one plugged into national security with energy saving devices like CARS?  I can see the ad now.  "Start thinking with your hearts and minds!  Stop thinking with your dick and balls!  The sooner we stop hogging the energy wagon the sooner we can bring our troops home from the Middle East."  Pretty good, Huh?

Casey

vdubnut62

I think it's time the EPA pulled their head out, and put some real world rules in place for diesel passenger cars! The BS regs here shut down nearly every chance we have at getting a good diesel car that gets decent mileage.
We are ruled and regulated to death. I know we need rules to protect the environment, but I will never be able to wrap my head around the idea
that  burning more fuel to go the same distance can result in reduced emissions ???

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

Hi Ron,

I think the theory is that we used some of the extra fuel to process the nasties from the transportation fuel.  Like clean coal. ;)

That does bring forth the second question.  What engines are burning more fuel to get cleaner through put?  Are the nasties measured per gallon or per mile?  I'm still an advocate of better efficiency from our big swingers like transportation.  ("efficiency" - How come it's I before E except after C or sounding as A like in neighbor and weigh?)

Casey

highwater

Quote from: LowGear on August 03, 2010, 04:17:27 PM

But what still blows me away is that the stupid ads on TV are still going "Zoom - Zoom".  Why has no one plugged into national security with energy saving devices like CARS?  I can see the ad now.  "Start thinking with your hearts and minds!  Stop thinking with your dick and balls!  The sooner we stop hogging the energy wagon the sooner we can brink our troops home from the Middle East."  Pretty good, Huh?

Casey

OK I'll join in.........

Everytime I hear or see someone get all over the throttle leaving a stop sign, I wonder if they consider how much American blood they just used.

Randall

LowGear

Hi Randall,

You put it a little more on-the-line than I did.  Last week I paid $4.03 a gallon for Chevron Supreme.  I'm in Hawaii.  I run the best fuel I can find.  My riding mower really has refined tastes.  OK, I normally burn more gasoline in my rider / therapy machine than I do in the road cars combined.

I see our troops in the Middle East being more about cheap gas than saving folks through the spread of democracy.   Interesting how some of our citizens equate using drugs to helping the terrorists but are blind to our addiction to petroleum products.  It's kind of that "My drug is my friend.  Your drug is a killer." mentality.

I think if we paid for the war and the other costs of the petroleum consortium at the pump that we'd soon find some alternatives to "Zoom - Zoom".  And if all Americans were required to serve in this spread of democracy that the war would have ended many years ago.

Casey

vdubnut62

Yes Casey, the war probably would have ended, and we would be unrolling our mats and pointing to Mecca 3 times a day.
Today's generation just does not have the intestinal fortitude that was present 60 or 70 years past.
I do  hope that my opinion is wrong.
Now, somebody explain the new efficiency jargon for electric motors? I was under the impression that electric motors were pretty cut and dried
after better than 100 years???

Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

LowGear

Back on topic?

I haven't got any idea.

Casey

rl71459

QuoteStop thinking with your dick and balls!

Pretty much say's it all!     ;D

LowGear

Ouch where it hurts.  But at least we're back on topic.

As some of you may have noticed I don't read really good.  Was there any indication of how many tenths of a percentage more efficient these new standards motors will be per $25 price tag click?  Those Baldor high efficiency motors have downright scary price tags.

Casey

vdubnut62

Well I read the darn thing, I got---  Govt regs- Blah blah- more efficient  run cooler last longer- blah blah -close loopholes blah blah-cost more to buy,less to operate.
No info on a break even point or percentage of efficiency increase. (that I could figure out anyway)
Ron

highwater

No first hand info, but I sit across the table from some of this type discussion.

For instance; plant maintainance has some guidlines such as:

age of unit
hp
phase
duty cycle
blah,blah,blah

I'll see if I can find pdf or something to look at.
I've seen it, just don't remember where.

Randall