News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

crank/camshaft timing

Started by Jens, July 21, 2010, 02:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronmar

Quote from: Jens on July 22, 2010, 01:34:25 PM
<sigh> ... turns out that in order to get the camshaft out, the lobe for the far side injector pump has to come off. Of course the pin holding the lobe on is nicely peened over :(  Definitively not meant to be serviced.

My 6/1 was the same way, but instead of a cam under the far cover plate(opposite side of case from the IP), it has just a plain collar with a tapered pin.  This collar must be removed to withdraw the cam from the case.  Try as I might, I could not get that taper pin free and wound up having to drill out the pin.    Since it is just a collar for thrust/positioning, and has no timing function, I replaced the tapered pin with a 5/16 shoulder bolt.
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Crofter

Be very stingy with heating the cam lobe as it is surface hardened either flame or induction process and anything approaching 400 F. or higher could reduce the hardness. I hate things inside an engine that have to be hammered to assemble or disassemble. I suppose some kind of a pin pusher could be contrived to make something impact free.
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

akghound

Those pins should tap right out if moved in the correct direction.I have removed several of them without much of a blow at all. Make sure you are striking the small end. I suspect that you are moving it the wrong direction. As Croffer says... Watch the heat. Being that it is hollow and fairly thin walled the cam shaft won't stand much heat without deforming, espically if a blow or pressure is applied when things are hot. Another thing to keep in mind is that the camshaft most likely is not drilled straight or on center so the pin may be bent or wedged some. If you do decide to drill take it easy and keep a watchful eye on things. I drilled out for the cam gear and replaced it with a bolt with good luck so far.

Things don't always line up on these engines. Cam and gear holes were so far out of line that I had to drill them out and insert a bolt.

Good Luck
Ken Gardner
One Day At A Time 
2000 F450 7.3 Powerstroke / Home Built WVO conversion
96 Dodge Cummins 2500 4x4 / Homebuilt WVO conversion
Listeroid Generator on used ATF
Living off grid

Ronmar

I was also worried about damaging that outer bearing by whacking on it too hard...

Glad you got it out...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"