News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Thermostat housing

Started by WGB, October 03, 2009, 12:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WGB

Don't want to bore you guys.
But if you want to check out what I was up to this morning, I'll post a link to see the pics.
I'd love to figure out how to post pics directly to the thread.
It's getting down to 45-50 degrees at night so if I need the generator I better get the thermostat installed.
The pic of the system draining shows casting sand that washed out with the water.
When I rebuilt the new Metro I power washed the water jacket, still was sand left.
Guess a few hour of run time  broke some loose.

Get the link down in the next post.

WGB

WGB

Quote from: Jens on October 03, 2009, 03:13:47 PM
Quote from: WGB on October 03, 2009, 12:49:02 PM

Look at the thermostat install set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=sets

Would love to see the pics but the site asks me to register before it will show me the pics :(
Did you try this one?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39282821@N07/sets/72157622508133940/show/
Also sorry I put this in the wrong section. I asked the Admin to change, thought that that was you Jens!
Jens

veggie

Very nice job. I was wondering how to do a thermostat on my 6/1.
Your pictures explained everything.

Cheers,
Veggie

rcavictim

Nicely done!  I'd never thought of using a drill press as a mill that way.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

WGB

Quote from: rcavictim on October 04, 2009, 09:14:20 AM

That is a Bridgeport mill, with a rotary table.

rcavictim

Quote from: WGB on October 04, 2009, 11:38:34 AM
Quote from: rcavictim on October 04, 2009, 09:14:20 AM

That is a Bridgeport mill, with a rotary table.

Hmmmm.  I don't know how I came to the erroneous conclusion.  I saw the table and figured big old heavy duty drill press.  Oh well at least this increases my post count.  :)

I wish I had a mill!  I finally got a lathe about 10 years ago after wishing I had one all my life, a 16" swing x 36" bed Southbend tool room lathe, older than me.  Between the two machines a lathe is very much more useful to me.  The mill would be nice when I needed it, but that isn't often.  It is hard to spend the kind of dough for tools that these machines cost if they are not being used at least part time earning a living.  All I do here now is stuff for myself.  I am busy building infrastructure that will reduce needed income, like my free power wind system.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

WGB

You can do some milling on a lathe, just think backwards!
I have a junk Enco not even sure the size, my good lathe is a South Bend 16" x 10' taper attachment plus all the goodies.
I run all my stuff with a VFD, sure is sweet for speed control.
I have a decent Chine made drill press that I went through, squared the table and such.
Been thinking of putting a 3 ph motor on the drill press so I can use a VFD on it too.

bschwartz

Beautiful thermostat housing, and GREAT slideshow!!
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

rcavictim

Quote from: WGB on October 11, 2009, 09:39:53 AM
You can do some milling on a lathe, just think backwards!
I have a junk Enco not even sure the size, my good lathe is a South Bend 16" x 10' taper attachment plus all the goodies.
I run all my stuff with a VFD, sure is sweet for speed control.
I have a decent Chine made drill press that I went through, squared the table and such.
Been thinking of putting a 3 ph motor on the drill press so I can use a VFD on it too.

Yes I know.  Unfortunately my cross-slide has too much play to mount the work on it.  My lathe also has a taper attachment which I have never yet used and a complete set of colletts, also never used.  A longer bed would be handy on occasion.  A gap bed would be sweet to have too!  My VFD is the fact that I run my lathe off my VW diesel genset. This is because it needs 550V 3-phase power.  I can play with the throttle if needed for fine speed control between lathe belt settings.