News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Witte diesel generator

Started by bschwartz, July 12, 2010, 03:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

I guess in reality this CD might even temp this old fart at $1200.  Risky stuff - old machinery.  You'll be amazed how well it was built.  11 quart oil galley built into the base.  Lots of nice cool filtered oil to make things last.

Best wishes and Good Luck,

Casey

billswan

Good luck b I'm pull for you, I sure hope you can add it to your collection and it will be great to have another witte among the group.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

bschwartz

I just got the following email......

"well ill let you have it for 1200 cause i need to get rid of it.  If
possible i need you to pick it up in hondo. i might be able to drop it
off in cruces but im not sure if ill be able to cause i dont have a
truck big enough."

I live an hour north of Las Cruces, NM (where the craigslist ad was).
He now says that the generator is 3 hours east of me...... :o

How badly do I need another engine?
I guess if he can get it closer to me, or drop the price, I may have some American thumpin steel.

My wife just asked me how many engines do I need ?!?!?!

How big a truck will this thing need?!?!

- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Diesel Guy

bschwartz,

I first thought my Diesel Electric Lighting Plant model weighed about 2,400 lbs. but I later spoke to people who worked on then all the time and they said closer to 2,700 lbs. or about 3 times my 14/1. This one should weigh slightly over 2,300 lbs. or more than  3 times your 6/1. They are dead weight, I move my listeroid engines around rather easily before mounting them to their frame. Not a Witte. They are well built, to say the least.

Here is the "single" flywheel model from Arrow that is an exact copy of the Witte CD engine, just different name:

http://web.archive.org/web/20011022003405/arrowengine.com/generator_midset.htm

Diesel Guy

Diesel Guy

Also, when looking at the Arrow "single" flywheel engine, my Witte engine has "two" roughly the same size flywheels on it, one smooth and the other grooved for the belts like a Start - O - Matic. Each one of the 2 flywheels have the same thickness and approx. mass of the Arrow, that's why my Diesel Electric Lighting Plant model is much heavier than the Arrow WD, which is an industrial engine and used as an electric model as well. The Witte Diesel Electric Lighting Plant model is designed for electric power only and can produce much cleaner AC power due to the increase in stored kinetic energy potential. 

Diesel Guy

LowGear

Has anyone seen an Arrow?  Does anyone know how many units they produced.

Casey

bschwartz

Uh, silly question........ is it pronounced white, white-e, wit, or wit-e ?
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

LowGear

When its your engine you can call her Sue - Like an engine named Sue.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I'm trying to learn to pronounce it Witt-e.

bschwartz

Spoke to the seller today.  Nice sounding older gentleman.  He got the engine in trade 3 years ago.  He says it was running when he got it, but it has been sitting outside under a tarp since then.  It needs a cooling system, and fuel tank.  I told him If I can hear it running, I'd give him $1000-$1200.  If I can't hear it run $500.
I think he needs to get rid of it worse than I need another engine, so it works in my favor.  I expect him to get back to me within a few weeks.  Either way, I keep money in my pocket for another time, or I think I'll get a good deal on American steel.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

billswan

16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

LowGear

This sounds more like it.  But watch out for those "Nice sounding older gentleman."  We ain't all so nice ;).

I believe all you should need for a fuel tank is a clean coffee can or water bottle with some diesel in it (fuel pump :) remember) and that engine will do just fine for half a minute without any water and at least five minutes with the water jacket full.

Good Luck,

Casey

deeiche

rm /

bschwartz

Nope, wasn't me.  Wish I had known he dropped his price.  He said he would call me back if he was willing to take the offer I gave him.  I never heard from him, so I forgot about it.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170