News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

A fuel filter mod all can live with

Started by playdiesel, July 09, 2010, 05:06:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

I'm still not used to India engineering so when I pulled the top of my Metro fuel filter I about lost it, :D You got to be kidding, a rope? and braided on the nipple? Good grief. My engine is going to be a combination work engine and show engine so I wanted an easy to replace filter and for the show part I wanted the original 30s looking canister hanging on my block. An added thing was I wanted to do it in a way that the average guy could get it done. So I started on the hunt for a filter and low and behold the one I found was actualy a Lister application. Punched the number in Google and found some guy liquidating them on Ebay, what luck eh? So my mod gives 1, modern filtration, 2- uses the original canister for looks, 3, uses a real Lister part but I failed a bit on 4, being a job that all can do at home. The threads inside the head where the rope nipple screwed in are very close, but not exactly 11/16"-18 The short length of egagement allows for 18 TPI to work and saved me having to set up for metric threading (pure lazy)

the threads on the Lister filter are very close but not exactly 1/2-20 (your standard 1/2# fine thread bolt) You should be able to readthe part number, there is a Fleetgard replacement filter but I dont have the number right here,will post later. There are some of these left on Ebay as of this evening.

took about 15 minutes tocrank the adapter out on the lathe, For you latheless (howdo you get through life?) I will make thesefor afew bucks and mail them out.

Ready to install, about 30 minutes  work, notice the sealing washers at the joints

These washers came from Harbor Frieght and are on sale for $4 the red ones will fix all your banjo fitting leaks given that the surfaces are even close to usable

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

veggie

Rope (string) seems fairly common in 3rd world countries where resources are scarce.
My listeroid had string wrapped around the base of the threads on the oil drain plug to serve as a gasket.
Goodness knows what they do when they run out of string ?  ;D

veggie

playdiesel

Same here, string was used anywhere there should have been an O-ring or sealing washer except the banjo fittings. I read a lot about banjo leak problems and IF all are like mine the main propblem is in the washers. Mine were so work hardened from the forming process that it could not seal the defects. Our factories anneal after forming and the Indian versions can be annealed by heating them just red and tossing them into a cup of water while red. I find it easier to toss them and install the hard red paper type shown or copper from another seal washer that also came from Harbor frieght.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Randybee1

playdiesel

The fleetguard number is FF5044 for those interested. The best buy is the ones currently on Ebay.  I will be setting up and cranking out some adapters in a few days. They will be FOC to end users on the site, just send me a mailing addy.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

mike90045

Quote from: playdiesel on July 12, 2010, 07:32:31 AM
The fleetguard number is FF5044 for those interested. The best buy is the ones currently on Ebay.  I will be setting up and cranking out some adapters in a few days. They will be FOC to end users on the site, just send me a mailing addy.

Very generous offer.  Thanks.

Randybee1

I ordered a  few of the Fleetguard filters and finally took my fuel filter cannister apart. Pretty funny!  someone stuck rope in mine :D

Randy B

playdiesel

I should be able to get the adapters turned out this week guys, sorry for the delay but busy time of year for me.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Randybee1

Don't sweat any delay..I'm just happy you're gonna make some!.. now, what to do with that rope?.....