News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Tips from a Listeroid newbie

Started by playdiesel, June 29, 2010, 08:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

Rustoleum forrest green and hammered silver, What ya'll think? I like the better than the typical red or yellow acccents? I like honest rugged cast iron look minus body putty. The wheels are yet to be done and I have my own slick fuel filter mod to show when my gen-you-ine Lister petter elements get here from the fleabay purchase. The will go in the  original cast base and give full modern filtration, best of both worlds I think.

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

rcavictim

I like that forest green color on engines and genset frames but prefer red or yellow accents actually over the silver.  DIY is of course all about personal expression. The Changfa 1115 and 24 kW STC head plant I made recently has that green on the frame.  
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Lloyd

RCA,

What ya doing with that big 3-phase tranny? I see the input from the genny...but nothing connected to the output.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

rcavictim

Quote from: Lloyd on July 04, 2010, 12:24:09 AM
RCA,

What ya doing with that big 3-phase tranny? I see the input from the genny...but nothing connected to the output.

Lloyd

That little 5.5 kVA 3-phase xfmer is just for testing.  There is a load bank of eight 1000 watt, 230 volt light bulbs hanging off the other side.  It was all I had originally for my first serious home generator, my DIY VW diesel genset plant, also configured for 480 volt output and driven from that it was always running badly overheated almost at the point of letting the smoke out trying to power my shop.  I finally found a nice 'big' 30 kVA 3-phase 'tranny' and it is a permanent part of my installation. That one stays cool.  8)  Any one of my HV configured gen heads will feed it as required.  My wind turbine gen head is also configured for 480 volt 3-phase output for the reduction of line losses and copper costs of a long transmission line.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

Horsepoor

Really enjoyed the photographs with your associates tips, thank you.

playdiesel

The Metro is done and mounted. Hope this isn't too candy arsed for you off-gridders. This rig will be powering some old equipment at a show so I dolled it up a bit and tried to make it lookold timey. But its also one of our back ups for grid outages. The head is a 5KWfrom Tom Osborn and will be set up for 220V operation.

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate