News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Listeroid 6/1 speed range

Started by veggie, October 01, 2009, 09:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Hi guys,

What's the upper limit of RPM for most 6/1 Listeroids.
Most seem to be governed at 650 rpm. Can they go to 800 ?....or even 1000?

Has anyone ever seen a BHP curve for these engines ???
Wondering what HP can be achieved at various speeds.
If anyone has one, please post it.

Cheers,
Veggie

mobile_bob

as far as i know, the spoke style wheels will limit you to 650rpm safe speed.

no way i would push them to 850 or 1000

bob g

ps *shoulda bought a changfa*
(twist on "shoulda bought a squirrel" from great american race)

:)

Henry W

I your right Bob. 650 rpm's is the safe limit.
You do not want a flywheel explosion.
Henry

mobile_bob

no kiddin veggie, we changfa boys will take you back no problem,,
you just got to be alive,, we got enough near dead amongst our group!

so don't come back over to our side missing half your head, or with an arm torn off!

:)

bob g

Ronmar

Last I recall, the 6/1, 8/1 and 10/1 all have the same mechanical specs.  The only difference being their type/size flywheel and their RPM...  HP = torque over time.  More of a given torque pulse in a shorter time period = greater HP...

As mentioned, the size and construction of the spoked 6/1 flywheels limit their RPM.  Google "iron flywheel explosions", or just "flywheel explosions".  There is some pretty good old time documentation from insurance investigations, as the wheels in many large industrial installations were insured.  Both For the potential loss of a valuable industrial machine, and for the damage they could do if they fail.  The best one I read about had some cool pics of the hotel room, I think 2 blocks away, where a very large piece of the wheel came to rest.  Most of the ones I recall reading about were as a result of a governor failure and engine runaway, or a load/drive failure that the governor was too slow to deal with which resulted in an overspeed condition...  
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

veggie

My wife accepts me even though I only have half a brain  :D

I saw a few 10/1 listeroids run up to 1000 rpm but as Bob stated, probably different flywheels.
Just wondering, because if they could run up to 800 rpm, one might be able to get 4kw from the gen head.
You're probably right about the flywheel being the limiting factor. I would not go over 650 without some solid data to back it up.

Veggie

PS Nice to know you care Bob  :)

veggie

I once saw the results of a 5 groove B section 30" diameter sheave explosion due to over-speed.
Pieces flew 50 feet away, through a wall, and demolished a computer sitting on a desk.
Above were holes ripped trough a corrogated steel roof 20 feet up.
Dents in walls and pieces of metal all around the failed equipment.
Scary!

Makes me think seriously about fitting some over-speed protection on the 6/1 ?

Veggie

dubbleUJay

This might be a good place to post this: ( From the document ronmar was talking about)
dubbleUJay
Lister  - AK - CS6/1 - D - G1 - LR1 -
http://tinyurl.com/My-Listers

XYZER

The flywheels are different for sure and some are internaly balanced. I'm thinking....are any of the higher RPM units externaly balanced?
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Wizard

All of these wheels are still drilled for balance, and depends on some, some have counter-weight cast in or added on.  But higher as rpm goes up, diameter get smaller and tend to be solid disk with small holes or none.

Cheers, Wizard

Henry W

I believe the higher speed Listeroids have countweighted cranks, smaller dia. flywheels, alluminum pistons, no counterweights on flywheel (with the exception of the 8/1).

Henry

veggie

dubbleUJay

Thanks for posting that chart...
According to the chart, the 23" flywheels on a 6/1 should be safe to 955 rpm.
With a stated safety margin of 3:1, it would appear those numbers are pretty safe.

Veggie

lowspeedlife

Veg, pleaose stay with the 650 rpm listing on these engine, if you want to increase the RPM get smaller fly wheels & go faster but don't do it without the  right wheels. exploding cast iron is a terrible thing. 
   Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

veggie

Hi guys,

I have no intention of going higher than 650.
I just wanted to know if these 6/1's had a limit which is higher than the standard governor setting.
Thanks for the feedback.

Veggie

lowspeedlife

That's good to know, we would like to keep you around :D

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age