News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Listeroid CoGen system video

Started by veggie, October 01, 2009, 08:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

Isn't that the unit from volvox engineering over in england or thereabouts?

i think i got his email addy somewhere, maybe i can twist his arm into comeing over
to the forum and telling us about his system?

bob g

mobile_bob

not a problem with me, any claims ought to hold up to some healthy and respectful scrutiny in my opinion.

i too am interested in his exhaust exchanger,  and a few other things on the unit.

having said that i have no problem with him coming over, joining up and showing his wares

for that matter i got no problem with him joining the dealers registry either, not like the vast majority of us
are going to buy a 3 ton unit and have it shipped from england anytime soon.

bob g

mbryner

I, too, would be quite interested in the exhaust gas heatex, and where he gets them.   Yea, like we are going to import the whole system to the US.   :)   
mobile_bob, whatever happened to your simple heatex design you were going to sell to us?

JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

mobile_bob

been sidetracked and had some health issues, the instructions are about done with the writeup
and i want to do a theory of operation, as i personally feel that is necessary so folks understand
all the "whys"

guess i better get that done sooner than later.

bob g

AdeV

Quote from: mobile_bob on October 04, 2009, 11:18:11 PM

guess i better get that done sooner than later.

Yes, please....! I have a "mobile bob heat exchanger" shaped hole in my cogen diagram just now... ;)

Seriously - health first, then family, then heat exchanger....  8)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Ronmar

Volvox has the heatex listed for sale on their website for 440 pounds(plus shipping and import duties:().  They also give some tech specs. 1250sq/in tripple pass and 316 tig welded stainless with 304 cast stainless end caps.
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

jmw

Jens,

We just recently (Yesterday actually) serviced one of our EGHEs.
The CHP has nearly 250 hours on it. It has been running on nothing but waste veg oil, and has had an undiagnosed fuel heater problem, so we were expecting to see to it well choked-up.
There was plenty of soot in the end caps but still nothing sufficient to restrict exhaust flow. The internal pipes were sooty but still had 8-9mm diameter (x 27 tubes) clearance.
On a well setup engine (where the fuel heaters are working), I expect the EGHE will start to restrict exhaust flow around the 400 to 500 hour mark, but to maintain heat transfer efficiency, I expect the EGHE will need cleaning every 250 hours.
I took some photos, but haven't got them off my camera yet - will post tomorrow.

Dismantling the EGHE is less than a 5 minute job, but could be quicker if you used flanges instead of BSP fittings. Luckily the exhaust flange studs on a Lister come out very easily which allows the EGHE top end cap to just lift off. You then disconnect the two water pipes and the whole body of the EGHE lifts straight off, leaving the bottom end cap in place.
Cleaning is just a matter of sticking a bamboo cane down each of the 27 tubes.

Mark

jmw

Jens,

Yes, this is the Volvox EGHE.
We didn't notice a significant drop in heat output, but then again, we haven't been monitoring it quantitatively.
I suspect you are right about the drop in efficiency though - soot makes a very good insulator.

Mark

Sodbust

Looks a little past what we would relate to as the "KISS" system..  I can tell you now that all that high dollar meters,, and shut down control box will be eaten up by the vibrations in short order..  I understand its all mounted on a trailer to tow around to different trade shows but I would give it 30 hours running time before parts start falling off.
Sodbust

knighty

whatever you do.... stay away from volvox engineering

I know someone who bought a system from them, and has had non stop problems with it.... they started by saying they'd return his calls but never did... in the end they won't even answer the phone... :(

mobile_bob

knighty:

you are new here, and as such probably don't know any better, but

there is "always" two sides to every story, and until i hear both sides i won't be passing judgement
on volvox or anyone else.

might be better to introduce yourself to the group and get your feet wet before you bring in "stories" that we
cannot confirm.

bob g

knighty

sorry, and that's a good point, it's not good when my first post is a bad one like that....

I should have just said that volvox have a questionable reputation, and anyone thinking of buying one should make sure they spend a decent amount of time googling them to read the horror stories !

mobile_bob

anyone wishing to buy anything would be well advised to avail themselves of all the info available

that is just getting yourself educated

sometimes getting into something you have no idea about can lead to serious problems that are not all the fault
of the supplier/manufacture.

much like buying a ferrari and then later complaining that the thing needs tires after 5k miles, or a clutch at 3500miles

that doesn't make a ferrari a piece of crap, but rather makes the new owner look a bit silly complaining.

bob g

Fat Charlie

Actually, they bought Acura NSXes and then filed a class action lawsuit when the tires only lasted 5000 miles.  Some combination of high performance tires and alignment settings designed to maximize cornering grip didn't sit well with folks who expected the performance of a Ferrari and the mild manners of an Accord.

And yes, they looked quite silly indeed.
Belleghuan 10/1
Utterpower PMG
Spare time for the install?  Priceless.
Solar air and hot water are next on the list.