News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Dilemma...

Started by AdeV, May 28, 2010, 07:38:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdeV

As you know from other threads, I'm in the middle of a very slow project to build a computer-controlled CHP unit out of a Lister CS 6/1, and whatever else I can scavenge along the way...

The other day, I happened across the perfect control console, with exactly the right "retro" look about it, lots of sliders and other knobs to adjust things, and a decent sized area for displays. See the attached pics & this link (if you are reading this after the end of July 2010, the link won't work, sorry)

The problem is, it was described as faulty, but it turns out (after a bit of jiggery pokery) that it works after all. Pretty much the only thing wrong is the tuning scale bulbs are blown, so the scale doesn't light up like it should.

So... the dilemma is: Do I fix the bulbs, and use it as a cool retro tuner/amp? Or do I stick to plan A, gut it & work on my powerstation console?

Over to you...

PS: I already have 3 radios, 1 multi-input amplifier, not to mention the internet, in this office... but none of them look quite as cool as this one!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5
Lister JP4 looking for a purpose...
Looking for a Changfa in my life...

Apogee

While it might be cool looking, how does it sound compared to your other audio gear?

If it's better, keep it.

If it's not, junk it.

Just my $.02

Steve

LowGear

Hi Friends,

My Name is Casey.

I am a hoarder.

Would you like to join my "On-Line" Hoarders Anonymous Group?

Crumpite

The first step is admitting you have a problem, you know.  :)

I'm recycling, not hording,
Crumpite...

Apogee

I'm a horder also so I can completely relate to Ade...

If it's nice and working properly, why wreck it?

The only criteria in my book that would allow me to do so would be if it doesn't sound good...  Then it's not serving it's intended purpose well so it's ok to take it apart....

However if it sounds decent, then the dilemma grows...

I envy folks who can just toss what they don't need with no regard about what it might become in the future...

LOL!

Steve

AdeV

Well, I spent a while yesterday dismantling it... some of the bulbs inside are blown, e.g. the two scale bulbs, and the stereo indicator. The first two are easy to replace, the latter will need some further dissasembly and desoldering (it's not in a socket).

Soundwise, it's hard to tell... I binned the only matching speaker plugs I have about 2 weeks ago (the typical thing: "I'll never ever need those, may as well chuck 'em" I said; and lo, 2 weeks later, I could have used them. Gah! No wonder I have Hoarder's Syndrome!). Using some speaker wires jammed in the hole suggested it was OK.

On balance, I think the work required to restore it to a usable & saleable condition is more than it will return. So, I'm about 70% convinced that it will become my new Lister Micro-CoGen Master Control Unit: I know you Americans love acronyms, so that's the LMCG MCU ;D ;)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5

WGB

Looks like the original teleporter control panel on Star Trek.
Beam me up Scotty!

AdeV

Well, today I accidentally knocked it over (it was stood on end) while partially dismantled, and some bits fell out. I've no idea where some of them came from... so, control panel it is :)
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
Lister CS 6/1 with ST5