News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

48 volts = not kiss

Started by Lloyd, March 03, 2010, 12:56:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinnf

I thought the manifolds were just cast iron with zinc anodes. 

Re: exhaust water treatment, either that or dump in a box of baking soda periodically and be happy.

Quinn

mobile_bob

the dude and the 4 alternator setup

i will give him points for creativity!

but i have to take back a few points for engineering  :)

but then again, if all he is asking is 20amps max from each alternator, it will probably be fine, however

if there is ever a heavy load, or intermittent demand that max's out the unit, i would expect a lot of
bent up allthreaded rod and burnt or thrown belts.

bob g

Lloyd

Quinn,

When they changed to the mani-cooler style, they began using the Bowman unit, as opposed to the early style that had a separate cast iron exhaust mainfold, and remote tube bundle/header tank.

Bowman developed the alum/bronze casting bc it resist corrosion, both from sea water and exhaust gas. My 64 pekins used the alum/bronze raw water cooled exhaust manifolds, they were also available in cast iron.

The mechanic that originally put the Perkins in my boat in 64, went against the grain and hooked the exhaust manifolds(alum/bronze) into the fresh water side. When I bought the boat, I had a couple of old Perkins guys look at the engines prior to rebuild, they were like you can't do that.

So when I dumped the old caterpillar heat-x's, I had Sendure calc the new tube-bundles to account for the the higher btu of adding in the exhaust manifolds(same as the original). I pulled all the inspection plates off the manifolds, had them sandblasted, and magnufluxed, they checked out all ok, now I have about 4000 hrs run time...never any issues, the engines come up to temp faster, and sit at 180 no matter the load they pull hr after hr. One issue this also solved is cooking of the valve cover gaskets...the cast iron manifolds hold so much heat, and bc proximity they cook the gasket and leak oil. The cooler running alum don't do this, so I have very clean machines...they are painted all white.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Lloyd

Quote from: mobile_bob on March 03, 2010, 04:13:28 PM
the dude and the 4 alternator setup

if there is ever a heavy load, or intermittent demand that max's out the unit, i would expect a lot of
bent up allthreaded rod and burnt or thrown belts.

bob g

Me thinks he's a mad scientist...maybe he only had the money for the 4 alt bc they were free...I don't have any idea...like I said at the beginning of the post..it's def not KISS.

I do give him credit for gluing together the semi-conducters to make it all work, especially since he is 100% self taught, with the aid of his community to crowd source the knowledge, he lacks. Now if he could just happen on this site and get a little mechanical crowd source.

Reminds me of when I was a kid, I would convert old tube radios to PA's, we were going to be rock and roll...hahha

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

Lloyd

Leece-Neville Announces New MultiPower Load Sharing Alternators

featuring a patent-pending regulator design that allows for up to 4 alternators to be installed on a single application. "Leece-Neville has built a reputation as the premier high amperage alternator manufacturer", http://news.prestolite.com/node/501

New MultiPower™ Alternators

Leece-Neville is proud to announce the release of our new MultiPower™ alternators
Up to 1,080 amps

The MultiPower™ alternator system is a technology that allows for up to (4) 270amp 12 volt alternators to be installed on a single system. The unique feature of this system is a regulator design that allows it to share the dynamic load of the vehicle in perfect balance.
http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_products/PR_07_03_MultiPower.php

WOW...a whopping 15kw at 14 volts......build it and some may come.

Lloyd