News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

48volt alternator

Started by mobile_bob, January 04, 2010, 06:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

got lucky and bagged this unit off of ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190360471084&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm39%26_nkw%3D190360471084%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

i new they existed but are very proprietary to the oem it was built for (john deere)
so try as i might i could never pry specifics out of engineering on build specifics

now i got one i can dissect and she what parts are actually used, i know for the most part but
will be nice to have confirmation.

in the end it will likely find use being driven by an r175 changfa for topping of and equalization duty
where its ampacity will not be stretched.

bob g

veggie

Hey Bob,

Nice grab!
A great little heavy duty alternator.

veggie

billswan

Hey bob

Wow looked that up on john deeres parts web site that baby lists for 1480 dollars!!!!!

What the heck do you suppose they used it for, must have been one big engine to need 48 volts to crank it up???

There was no machine associated with it but may be my son could figure it out as he is a JD parts man.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

mobile_bob

leece neville makes two such alternators,  both are something they have agreements with the  oems
to not tell much about.

from what i can determine john deere uses this one on some sort of specialized manlift as an auxilliary power
source for the traction motors or something.

the other is made especially for navistar, in conjuction with vanner inverters, it has not rectification as the
vanner unit has that as part of its design.

both are bloody expensive at retail list, which is about what i would have to pay for either because they
would be special order around here.

i was very pleased to grab this one, it will be on my bench and in pieces just as soon as i can get ahold of it.

bob g

mobile_bob

got the alternator today via UPS
and believe it or not they got it here without any damage, a first from ups, at least in my experience.

came with a dual groove pulley which btw, is useful as is on my test unit, it also came with two very nice 5/8 heim joints
that i guess the seller was going to use as part of the mounting system, won't be used on my rig but a nice extra that will
come in handy somewhere down the road.

the alternator is obviously new, never used, in original box

upon initial inspection i am pleased to see that it is something i can replicate, as my project X alternator is basically built the same
way except for the  heavier 4 in hand wound stator of project X.

probably the next step will be to replace project x with this new alternator and run it through some testing, this will allow me time
to make some further modifications to the "X" alternator for more testing later.

looks like this unit will end up doing duty charging batteries being driven by a  R175 changfa, for that weekly top off and equalization
where i won't be needing massive amounts of amperage, but will need to run for several hours.

the construction of this new alternator confirms the theory of operation laid out in the white paper on high output/high efficiency alternators
in that it uses 12volt excitation and charges at 48volt nominal using the split excitation buss as outlined in the paper.

nothing new here, just something not widely known about.

bob g

billswan

Thanks for the up date bob please keep us posted ;D ;D ;D

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

veggie

Hi Bob,

If I may suggest....mount the Leece vertically above the R175 changfa and drive it from the flywheel.
It would make for a sweet looking compact battery charging unit.
Won't take up much space.

veggie

mobile_bob

thanks for the suggestion, i like how that would make for a tighter package

bob g