News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

24V Leece Neville wiring help

Started by bschwartz, January 01, 2010, 09:03:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bschwartz

I just picked up a Leece Neville 24V 160A (110-1005) alternator.  I could use some expert advise on how to wire this thing.  It has 5 connections.  They are labeled +, -, R, E, L.  The + and - make sense, but the other 3 don't.  I was told that it is not self exciting (like an old girlfriend).  Any help would be greatly appreciated (with the alternator, not old girlfriend).
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

bschwartz

I did find that one, but it seems quite different.  I don't have a voltage adjustment and I have an E and L.  I don't understand what the R stator neutral tap is.  Where would I need to connect the batteries or ignition switch to energize the unit?
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

mobile_bob

the stator neutral tells me the stator is Y connected, why the oem provides this tap is unknown to me

the L should be for the lamp circuit, basically you connect a small bulb with positive to one side of the lamp
and then ground the lamp to the L terminal, this generally provides a bit of power to trigger the unit into operation
and once it is starting to charge the L terminal goes form ground to positive which turns out the lamp.

not sure about the E terminal, you might try and give prestolite, leece neville a call to tech support and see
if they can provide the needed info on how this unit works, i have found their engineering dept very helpful.

bob g

bschwartz

When you say the stator is Y connected, does this mean it would be 12v?
Ahhhh, so L is to ignition through a lamp to 'start' the alternator.
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170

mobile_bob

yes key on through a switch to power the light, the light finds ground through the "L" terminal
and when the alternator starts up the "L" terminal goes from ground to positive
the lamp between two positives goes out.

that is the classic design, if there is a regulator on this unit, which i think there is.

Y connected is one of two possible connection schemes the other being Delta
delta provides higher current but at lower voltage, so you have to spin the alternator faster to get it to charge
at 24volts,
connected as Y (wye, or sometimes called star) increases the voltage for a given rpm to 1.73 x the delta connected voltage
so that it will begin to charge at 24volts at a much lower rpm., but

Y connectioned deliver about 57% of the amperage of a delta connected stator, but
it appears your unit is very heavily wound in order to have the 160amp rating.

best bet is to call prestolite and talk to there engineering dept about connections to be sure, although a small lamp limits the current
so much that it is unlikely that you can damage anything by trying to connect the "L" terminal as described.

the "E" post is a bit of a mystery, i haven't seen one, or don't recall having seen one used on other alternators of this type.

bob g

squarebob

Bschwartz, Did you ever figure out how to wire this alternator up? I am looking at getting the same unit but don't want to "smoke" it.
Thanks
Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

bschwartz

I gave up on running anything on 24 volt, so it has just been a dust collector.  So, to answer your question, no, I never got to play with it.  Do you want one cheap?
- Brett

1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
...Oh, and an old R-170