News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Leece Neville ???

Started by Halfcrazy, December 27, 2009, 02:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfcrazy

Ok i have a thought here. the standard 24v leece neville SP? alternator if one took the regulator out and spun it would you be able to charge a 48v battery bank without rewinding it?

mobile_bob

the short answer is yes, for a better explanation go to our "white paper" board, and look for the paper
i presented for a fuller explanation.

be aware you are likely going to need to change out the diodes to higher voltage units.

bob g

Halfcrazy

well i keep thinking i want to build a dc charging source rather then go threw my inverters. what i may do though is get a ST head and send 120 only to my power house then rectify it to dc and send it threw a MPPT charge controller. thus giving me a regulated charge source plus a standard generator if needed.

mbryner

Hello halfcrazy,

See this thread:
http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=460.0

for discussion on using ST head for 48 V battery bank charging with rectified 120 V AC to MPPT charge controller.

Marcus
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Halfcrazy

yes i have studied that thread but i think i will rectify the 120 volts instead of splitting the coils to 60 volts that way i dont have to mess with the alternator at all and wiring can stay the same to the power house and i can just have a transfer switch that will go between inverters or rectifiers

mbryner

Yea, in that thread there are actually 2 themes going on.  In the more recent posts on that thread, I'm getting help from BruceM and mobile_bob with rectifying the 240/120 VAC from my ST head without doing a mod to the head (i.e. splitting the coils).   That way the ST is useful for things besides battery charging.
JKson 6/1, 7.5 kw ST head, propane tank muffler, off-grid, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775

"The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"