Looking for an efficient 12 volt, 80 amp, ext reg, alt. set-up to rotate CCW

Started by Henry W, June 14, 2022, 10:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I am looking for an efficient 12 Volt, 60 to 80 Amp alternator that can be set up to rotate Counterclockwise.
If anyone has knowledge of which alternator's might be good to consider please feel free to comment.
Thanks,
Henry

Henry W

I'm considering a Delco 10DN clone. Part number is 7122N. I was told it is a new updated 63 amp alternator made in China.

A paper in the box showed Low Cut-In is at 892 rpm. The rated output of 63 amps comes on at 2400 rpm.
I've heard that the efficiency rating is up from the original. Someone mentioned that the efficiency is up to around 65%. That might be stretching it some.

This might be the one I'll be trying. If I can get 50 or 55% with it, I'll be very pleased.

I've heard to stay at, or below 80% of its 63 amp rating for continuous operation. I think I'll be near 60% of its rating. So, I think it should work fine.

I did a search on the part number and  RockAuto.com shows one.

Here it is:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1968,c30+pickup,6.5l+396cid+v8,1033423,electrical,alternator+/+generator,2412

(Go down to WAI GLOBAL  7122N)

I also checked Autozone and they sell the same thing with a lifetime warranty.

Tom Reed

So, the external regulator GM alt 10DN is more efficient that the 10SI? Or is this so a Balmer type regulator can be used?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

I don't know if the clone 10DN 7122N is more efficient than a 10SI.

I am considering a Balmar 412 regulator/controller. I will be starting a new build once I get the Changfa R165. Looking at 30 to 40 amps. This is all I'm looking for.

I've never built a DC charger. So this is new.

An alternator larger than 90 amps might be pushing it with the Balmar 412. The maximum output reduction is 60%. So, a 90 amp alternator output can only  be reduced to 36 amps.

I'm trying to keep this new build as simple as possible. I am looking at over the counter alternator that does not have to be modified in any way. I would like it to be a simple drop in plug and play unit. Reason is if the alternator goes bad, I can go to autozone or another auto parts store and get another 10 DN, 7122N.

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

Yes, a ccw fan is still available.

I am also looking for the largest dia. 6 groove alternator pulley. So far I'm able to find a 4.2" hard anodized aluminum pulley. I would like to stay with steel if one can be found at a reasonable size. I think the anodizing has a Rockwell of 62.

veggie

Those Balmar controllers are too expensive were I live. They cost 2 X that of the alteronator  >:(
So I use alternators with internal regulators.
Mine is a stationary system, so I can use solar to handle the float charging.

Using a Balmar could present an issue because the final few amps before switching to float state can take hours.
That's a lot of run time for an engine.
And if one is not using the 3 stages of the external charge controller, then what's the use in having it?

Not criticizing, just asking for some discussion on this in case I have it wrong.

veggie

The 12Si may be a bit more reliable. Can take a bit more heat.
Parts available all over the planet.
Very nice alternator

Henry W

Veggie, this is all new to me. My understanding is the Balmar controller/regulator can be set for specific batteries and charging needs. One of the concerns is limiting the output so the R165 engine will not be overloaded. The little Changfa will probably only pull 30 or 40 amps comfortably. I'm hoping the Balmar controller/regulator will prevent an overload condition on the engine and alternator.

I'm thinking of spinning the alternator close to 5900 rpm's at the engines rated output at 2600 rpm's. And, spinning the alternator close to 4000 rpm's when the engine is only spinning 1800 rpm's under light loads. The reasoning for this is with the fan spinning at high rpm's, it should help keep the alternator cooler under loads. Since the alternator output will be limited, the alternator should not overheat and burn-up. And, hopefully live a good life.

With the Balmar 412 controller/regulator, the 10DN, 63 amp alternator output can be limited to 25.2 amps

I understand that the 12SI has a better reliability record. The goal here is to use an alternator that does not have to be modified. If an alternator quits working, I want to be able to pick one up at a parts store, install it and be done with it. This is the reason why I'm looking at the 10DN.

I could be totally wrong with what I'm trying to accomplish. And I appreciate all your input.

Here is a link to the Balmar ARS-4 & MC-412 Installation and Operator's Manual

https://microcogen.info/index.php?topic=3960.0