News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Looking forward to start my new project soon.

Started by Henry W, September 22, 2009, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I am getting ready to start my new project. The engine will be the CATERPILLAR Model C0.5 two cylinder in-line diesel engine running two Leece-Neville 110-555JHO 12/14 Volt 160 Amps Alternators. I believe this will be a fun project. This unit should be very compact when completed.
I welcome your input guys.

Henry

LincTex

Half a liter?

I don't think an engine that size would run 2 - 160 amp alternators.

160 amps x 14 volts is about 2300 watts.  That's a tough load for a small engine.

Am I missing something?
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

mobile_bob

that little engine ought to cover 6kwatts at full 3600rpm, but
i think he plans on running at ~2400rpm so maybe he can cover 4kwatts

shy of the full 4600watts of the alternators but
the alternators won't do much over 130-140 hot

and i wouldn't recommend over about 120 amps continous output from each
that places it at about 240amps for  both, x 14.4 = approx 3500watts
3500/4000= ~87% loading,, add 3% for belts and he is at 90% capacity, not bad at all
considering he likely would not be running at this level for long hours anyway.

factoring in other efficiencies, maybe he gets a max output of 200amps at 14 volts
thats still a very good charger.

thinking about this a bit more, maybe he runs the engine at the full 3600 rpm so he can get max
output from the alternators, and then reduces the rpm as the current demand drops off. that way he
can have max power when needed and then back off automatically when the current drops to save fuel
and extend the lifespan of the engine.

so he has probably a pretty good match for the engine's capabilities in my opinion, especially if he chooses
the drive ratio's right and incorporates a current demand throttle control,, the makings of an excellent inverter
genset.

set the ratio so the engine runs at 3600rpm to drive the alternators at their max continous rating of 8000rpm
and he will have the ability to do just about anything he wants from 3600 down to as low as 1800rpm if he wants
to. about a 2.22:1 step up drive.

listeroidusa has a pulley that is probably just right to drive an off the shelf 8 groove pulley on the alternators
a single belt and one tensioner idler and away you go.

bob g

Henry W

I was planning on running the engine at 2600 RPM I figured around 4500 watts. Bob your calculations are very good.

Henry

Henry W

Quote from: mobile_bob on September 22, 2009, 06:24:45 PM
listeroidusa has a pulley that is probably just right to drive an off the shelf 8 groove pulley on the alternators
a single belt and one tensioner idler and away you go.

bob g

Mike M. at  listeroidusa sure makes great pulleys. I run two of his custom made pulleys on my S195 Gen-set.
His attention to detail is very good when he designs his pulleys. Yes I will be having him make my custom pulleys again.

Henry

veggie

Henry,

I'm looking for a larger pulley for my 195 Changfa. Something around 7.5" to 8".
Does Listeroidusa have a web site?

Veggie

Henry W

Not at this time. He will be having one in the near future.
Here is his email address: alternateenergy@bellsouth.net
Drop him an email. He is very good in getting back.

Henry

Henry W

Quote from: veggie on September 22, 2009, 07:47:03 PM
Henry,

I'm looking for a larger pulley for my 195 Changfa. Something around 7.5" to 8".
Does Listeroidusa have a web site?

Veggie

Hello Veggie,

Were you able to contact Mike M. about the pulleys?

Henry

veggie

Hi Henry,

Yep, I emailed him with what I was looking for and he got back right away.
I asked if he makes a stub shaft adapter for the 195 engine so that I can mount various sheaves.
Apparently he does not stock anything, so the response I got was that he can "make pretty well anything I want if I send the bolt pattern".
That was not much use to me.
I though he knew about the Changfa bolt patterns and had drawings for various pulleys and such.

I did contact John Ferguson who advertised a stub shaft for the 195. He is getting back to me.

Veggie

Henry W

Hello Veggie,

I gave Mike the measurements to make my pulleys a while back. I took real tight measurements with the CMM at work so the measurements I have are probably best you can get. I did talk to Mike early this week and we did talk about getting those measurments to him so he can program them in his CNC.

About the stub shaft it is no problem making those as long as he has the measurements that I took. Right now most things like stub shafts will be custom made to order. But the good thing about having good equipment he can program it and knock it out very quickly.

Henry

Henry W

Hello Veggie,

I was able to get the measurments off my older PC. (What a Pain)

I talked to Mike and he will have the measurments later today.

Mike will be able to make differant size pulleys and stubshafts with the measurements he will be getting.

Oh, if you need to figure out a pulleys for specific RPM's. I do have a site saved where you can figure out exactly what you need. I will post it shortly.

Henry

prof.blink

hwew, pilot 144mm   bolt circle 172  made steel pulley for redstone. same as changfa. blink

Henry W

Hello prof.blink,

Thanks for writing.

The bolt Circle of 172mm is right on.

The Pilot (Boss) of 144mm is over ten thousands of an inch, or over .254 mm undersized for my S195. Enough to make me feel uncomfortable that the possability of being off center could cause a shake. My pulley on the S195 is well over 30 lbs. And that is why I got real tight readings.

I guess a good thing to do is bring my other new flywheel in work and take readings on the CMM to see if it is consistant with my first flywheel. Guess I'll bring it in work monday.

I remember people going through alignment steps with the origional OEM pulley.

Henry

veggie

Henry,

Thanks for passing on the dimensions to Mike.
Once he has those, he can provide drives for all Changfa users.
I like the idea of having a stub shaft on the flywheel.
It gives the freedom to experiment with different engine speeds.

Cheers,
Veggie