News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

555 stator AC voltages?

Started by bentcrafter, October 07, 2012, 12:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentcrafter

Bob, I don't have a LN manual so I'm short on specs. What no-load AC stator voltages can I expect to see @ say, 1k-3k on this alternator? Obviously it's capable of higher voltages above 3k, but I'm curious about the lower RPM specs . Thanks

mobile_bob

i am not sure of the low rpm stator voltages, its been a long time since i did
a lot of work with this alternator.

because of its very low cut in speed i would expect the stator voltages to be sufficiently high to get the job done, in other words i would expect more than 12volts
at ~1000rpm at near full field

what are you trying to accomplish or determine?

if you are going to 24volt nominal charging, 3000rpm is probably going to be the minimum target rpm i would go for, to keep cooling up it needs to spin something more than what it might at engine idle for the typical application.

if your goal is something around 50amps at 24volt nominal (approx 28.8vdc) then you might get away with turning down to around 2500rpm, but that is about the bottom end and it might not quite get you there.

not knowing what your goals are, it is hard to guess something useful for an answer.

to answer your question directly, i am not sure what the AC stator voltages are at those various rpm's, because the field will vary the voltage, the load will vary the voltage, as well as heating of the stator core.

can you clarify your concerns?

bob g

bentcrafter

I was just curious, that's all. I have the basic genset platform built and the alternator mounted, but my hold-up now is engine parts before I can run tests - Probably another week or so before I can make noise.

I removed probably 95% of the internal OEM rectifier & regulator, so stator cooling shouldn't be a major concern.

Thanks again,