News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

LN 110-555 score

Started by bentcrafter, September 23, 2012, 09:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentcrafter

I was doing so late spring cleaning and hauled a small load of scrap to the local recycler. While there, I noticed a box of 3 alternators - all 110-555's. All were complete and none of'em were seized or appeared to have serious damage (burnt stators, etc). Clearly rebuildable cores, and I thought these might provide some cheap, future testing - dunno yet. $2 ea.

mobile_bob

truck dealers have been pitching those puppies in the scrap pile for well over a decade
they are so cheap new that they cannot justify spending the time to rebuild one that has failed.

i used to pickup 1 or 2 every week there for a while, but sadly since the move i don't have the ability to get my hands on used ones anymore.

thing is you probably have enough parts there to make at least one of them work, maybe two!

bob g

bentcrafter

Causalities:

2 sets of brushes  
1 rectifier assy (2 diodes)

All 3 stators are bright amber with no evidence of heat and none are grounded. Slip rings on one rotor show evidence of arching (brushes too short), but will probably clean up fine if I need it - none were open or shorted and all measured between 2.6 & 3 ohms. A couple of the bearings are not as 'fresh & tight' as all the others, but none I would discard just yet. I'm only after one unit for testing, so it looks like I have a sufficient supply of usable duplicates. I did order 2 sets of replacement brushes, even though one of the sets I have still looks new.

I would've preferred a pad (4-point) housing, but beggars can't be choosers...  

Quote from: mobile_bob on September 23, 2012, 01:30:21 PM
truck dealers have been pitching those puppies in the scrap pile for well over a decade
they are so cheap new that they cannot justify spending the time to rebuild one that has failed
Yup.

I wrenched professionally for about 15 years. Early on, we typically did engine overhauls. That changed, and we started buying rebuild short blocks (and long blocks if necessary). And even later in my grease monkey career, we started favoring low mileage bone yard motors & trannys. The reason was simple - it was cheaper for the customer because our labor was dramatically reduced - and we even profited becoming 'parts changers'. The one major issue I had with it, was the inability to control the parts quality and internal condition. Stuff a motor in... then cross yur fingers...!        

bentcrafter

Bob, I do have a couple of questions;

* I have the 8LHA parts list. Seems most replacement internals are available... except the diode rack (trio). Why?

* Will these diodes reliably survive @ 30v?  I don't recall your white paper suggesting a rectifier swap, so I'm guessing these will suffice - at least temporarily.

mobile_bob

to be honest i am not sure i have ever looked into the diode trio
because i control the field directly and remotely

the rectifier diodes in the 160amp units are avalanche type, and will go into avalanche
at about 30volts, so you want to stay under that or replace them with aftermarket diodes (something i would strongly suggest)
the older units were 130 and 140amps and i think their diodes can handle a bit more voltage, but i would change them out too to be safe.

bob g

Mad_Labs

Bent,

Any interest in selling a stator core or better yet, a dead complete unit or two? I currently use one for charging my batteries on cloudy days (I'm off grid) and am in the process of getting ready to switch to 48V. SO I need to rewind an alt for 48V duty.

Thnaks!

Jonathan

mobile_bob

no need to rewind the unit,

you can simply reconnect the stator from delta to wye
and then you can get to the requisite charging voltages needed for a 48volt
bank, while turning the thing at about 5000rpm

btw. these units are rated for 8k rpm continuous operation

you will suffer a bit of efficiency loss, however probably better than a rewind
would net you and still probably in the 55-60% range.

i did this exact modification and tested the result, but i don't know where the
results are right now. i do remember the efficiency dropped from the near 80% to something under 60% running at 57.6vdc @ 75amps.

that is still an impressive amount of power in my opinion, at just over 4.3kwatts

bob g

bob g

bentcrafter

Quote from: Mad_Labs on October 11, 2012, 09:25:30 AM
Bent,

Any interest in selling a stator core or better yet, a dead complete unit or two? I currently use one for charging my batteries on cloudy days (I'm off grid) and am in the process of getting ready to switch to 48V. SO I need to rewind an alt for 48V duty.

Thnaks!

Jonathan
Jonathan, sent you a PM.

Mad_Labs

Bent, Bob,

Started a new thread so as to no hijack this one. Thanks for getting back to me about alt frames. The new thread is 48V gas powered charger.

Thanks!

Jonathan