Help puting together a automated 48 volt charging system

Started by rosscat3, July 02, 2012, 10:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosscat3

Would the Leece Neville# A0012258 AC 28 V alternator work with the M648  or should I use the 110 –555 JHO
cant never did anything for anybody

mobile_bob

that would be a question for balmar

because we need to know what voltage the field power  is designed for,

the only oem 48volt nominal alternators i know of are two that were built by leece neville, both of which
used 12volt rotor/fields

if i were to spec out which i wanted it would be for a 12volt rotor/field

now the question is whether to use a 24volt leece neville or the 12volt 110-555jho

i make no secret about my love of the 555, and i think it warranted.

i like it because the iron stack of the stator is less than that of the leece neville product line, this leads to lower inductance
and a bit lower stator resistance. both of which effect overall alternator efficiency.

the 555 also has more poles, which makes cut rpm lower and of course 24 and 48volt operation at a lower rpm than an alternator
with few poles.

the 555 has ball brgs front and rear, whereas the leece neville use a front ball and rear needle brgs, not sure this is that big a deal
but i like dual ball brg if i can get em.

finally in testing the 555 is able to attain significantly higher efficiency at 24 and especially 48volts over the leece neville, back when i was
doing the workup on both alternators, i was unable to close the gap between the two or find a definitive reason why the disparity.

btw. most 24volt alternators are modified versions of a 12 volt offering, many simply reconnect the stator from delta to wye configuration
which increases the voltage by a factor of 1.73  this of course increases stator resistance, which has a marked effect on efficiency.

until more work can be done, i would hesitate to recommend anything other than the 555 for this project.

also bear in mind you will "have" to replace the rectifier diodes in the 555 to get up to 48volt nominal operation (57.6vdc charging) the oem
diodes are avalanche type and will clamp as something over 30vdc which makes the 555 a very effective electric brake.  i am not sure if you would have to replace the diodes in the 24volt leece neville, they might be up to the task.

bob g