News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

555-110 pulley

Started by scottpeterd, May 07, 2012, 10:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottpeterd

Hi,

New to forum.  I'm buying into mobile-bob's design for my off grid setup in Uganda.  Im here in the states shopping for parts.  Does anyone know of a good source for double groove pulleys that take "B" series or 5l belts for this alternator?

I've checked with ASE but they only offer pulleys for "A" series.

Ive got a chanfa 175, but plan on upgrading to a 195 shortly. I've purchased the Sterling power PDAR regulator, as it offers a soft start feature to avoid belt slippage, but I'm still concerned about slippage. 

I've presently using an 800ah 24v battery bank. As I live on the equator on lake Victoria, lack of sun is not usually a problem, but during monsoons I do need a way to bulk charge my bank. At present with the 175, I'd be happy to pull 60 amps out of this setup.

Tia for any help,
Pete

artificer

I agree with looking at Surplus Center.  Here's a link to their double groove, fixed bore page:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=powerTrans&keyword=PPP2

and here's to the double groove, interchangeable bore/hub pulleys:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=powerTrans&keyword=PPT2

Many of the pulleys are made to use both A and B belts.  The B belt rides higher up in the groove, so larger diameter.

I like the pulleys that use the hubs.  If properly installed, they don't even need a key to transmit power, but I'm a "belts and suspenders" kind of guy, so I still use a key.

Michael

mobile_bob

if you check with any of the alternator/starter rebuild shops they can supply a dual B pulley to fit your application
it doesn't need the key, but use one if you can get it which is very common

also to note,
the alternator uses a standard 7/8th " shaft, so any 7/8" bore pulley will fit however those made for the alternator will be a thousands
overbore to make for a nice slip fit without pounding them on.  with the nut retainer the fan is captured between the front brg and the pulley
and everything will stay tight.

if possible get the automotive pulley

dual A section pulley's are very common and are more than adequate to drive this alternator to full output, and if i recall correctly the A section belt will run just fine in the changfa/oid pulleys.  you might also consider AX type belts if only for their ability to run in tighter/smaller diameter pulleys.

good luck

bob g

scottpeterd

Bob,

Thanks for chiming in.  I was hoping you would pck up on this thread.

I was thinking that an automotive alternator fan would be what you recommend over an industrial sleeve pulley with a set screw.  I was concerned about not locking the rotor to the front bearings if I used just an industrial pulley. Besides, the industrial pulleys look like they are to deep for the 555 shaft.

I am having a hard time finding pulleys online.  The balmars good, but at $130, they are a tad bit outside reasonable.

The standard mounting for a changfa will result in the alternator running counter clockwise.  Given how long it took me to find a ccw fan for the Bosch alternator in my sailboat, I was thinking of a unidirectional fan.  With a 175, I'm not going to be pulling that many amps out of the 555, so cooling is not a major concern.

Does anyone know of a good source for these fans?

XYZER

Quote from: scottpeterd on May 07, 2012, 11:41:12 PM
The standard mounting for a changfa will result in the alternator running counter clockwise.  Given how long it took me to find a ccw fan for the Bosch alternator in my sailboat, I was thinking of a unidirectional fan.  With a 175, I'm not going to be pulling that many amps out of the 555, so cooling is not a major concern.

Does anyone know of a good source for these fans?

I have a unidirectional on one 555 and am runnining a clockwise fan counter clockwise on another......I can't tell much difference.....they both seem to stir a lot of air. No heat issues but I am not using many amps.
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

scottpeterd

Thanks for that info.  where did you get your fan(s) from?  Given the shaft length of the 555, I've having a difficult time sourcing a fan and pulley.

My situation is that the alternator has been delivered to my post out point on the east coast, and I'm here on the west coast.  I'll have two days to see the alternator and then ship out.

mobile_bob

where on the west coast are you?
if in the seattle/tacoma area, check with RE Electric, they can provide you with both a pulley and fan

the alternator should have come with a fan from the factory.

bob g

scottpeterd

That's great.  I'm in Bremerton, on the peninsula, but going to Tacom for a day.  I'll check them out tomorrow.

scottpeterd

Ok, checked with RE.  They have the pulley.  Thanks for the reference.

Now, just checked with the person on the east coast that received the alternator.  It is not a 110-555, but a World Power 8719N, which a Delco 24si.  I've read on this forum that a Delco 22si is a P type, which is going to make it difficult to work the sterling external regulator.

has anyone here played with a 24si?

mobile_bob

the delco can be converted for use with the sterling, however i would recommend you do one of the following

1. find a qualified shop to do the bypass internally, which will amount to disabling the internal regulator and providing
external connections for the external regulator/controller or your choice, or...

2. trade it for a 110-555 jho and call it a day, the 555 is superior for what you are going to be using it for in my opinion in many ways.
it will run cooler and at a significantly higher efficiency than the delco will as applied to the charging of a 24volt bank.

fwiw, i would strongly suggest option number 2 above.
bob g

scottpeterd

Bob,

My thoughts exactly.  I talked with Eric at RE today.  He has a 111-555 are a good price. I'm buying it from him tomorrow, along with the fan and pulley.

Anyone here want buy a brand new Delco 24si pad mount?  $175 and it's yours...

LincTex

I am planning to run an 8-rib serpentine belt right off the rim of the flywheel (18") to spin my Leece-Neville (with 3" pulley) from a Chang Chai ZS1110. Anyone done anything similar?
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

mobile_bob

that is a 6 to 1 step up, with the 555-110 limited to 8krpm continuous you will have to run the engine at a reduced speed of 1333rpm,, even then that is hauling ass for any large frame alternator and i would think lifespan probably isn't going to be enhanced to say the least.

bob g

LincTex

Quote from: mobile_bob on March 08, 2013, 05:37:30 PM
with the 555-110 limited to 8krpm continuous ....even then that is hauling ass for any large frame alternator

Thank you, Bob! I was having a hard time finding RPM limit info.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP