News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Does anyone have one of these?

Started by EBI-WPO, November 03, 2009, 08:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBI-WPO

Hello All,
Starting this out on a bit of historical relevance. Lincolns (some) used this alternator for front and back glass de-icing. Notice the field is run at 12vdc, and output is 120vac (not rectified). Ford knew the capabilities of the alternator, fairly early in its existence.

Does anyone have one in their possession? I changed one back in the early seventies, but that is the extent of my experience. It had a noisy bearing, and the (eccentric) owner would only be happy with a "NEW" one which if I remember right was over $100 at the time.
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

mobile_bob

i was not aware of this animal, thanks for posting reference to it.

leece neville makes an alternator that is regulated at 56volts and 100amps that is an AC output
and uses a 12 volt rotor, it is used to couple to a special inverter made by vanner and installed
in navistar based emergency vehicles.
very expensive alternator and probably equally expensive inverter system.

there is also a version they make that is  regulated at 48volts and about 100amps
that is made for a manlift or somesort of special critter made or marketed by john deere

both alternators are only available through either navistar or deere by contract.

it stands to reason that there are other oem's over the years that have had special app's alternators
built by delco, leece neville, prestolite, motorcraft, electrodyne (which i know makes alternators of all sorts
of voltages) etc.

trying to find one is a huge problem, and then usually when found the price is prohibitive, but
we learn how they did it and we replicate it with off the shelf parts if we can.

in my opinion we can produce alternators for any voltage desired

bob g

EBI-WPO

Hi Bob,
I wasn't looking to get one, just wondering if anyone on here possessed one (and also trying to stimulate some activity). Would be neat to see what, if any, difference there was from the normal large frame Ford alternator of that vintage.

Terry
To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

Tom T

I thank Ford used 110 volts on there defrost in the late 90's not sure but remember something like it. Might be the same. T

EBI-WPO

TomT,
The Sable used a special plated layer of glass, but from what I can find, it was 12volt, fairly high current.

Terry

Ronmar

And that is the problem with 12V for a heater application.  It needs monster cables to deliver any useable heat:)
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

rcavictim

Quote from: Ronmar on November 13, 2009, 01:41:17 PM
And that is the problem with 12V for a heater application.  It needs monster cables to deliver any useable heat:)

And Monster will gladly sell you all the heavy cable you need...at 100% dealer markup.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.