News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Alternator connections - Why so small ?

Started by veggie, February 15, 2012, 09:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Have any of you ever looked at the tiny 1/4" connections on an alternator and scratched your head in confusion ?

Case in point:
I just dug out my Leese/Neville 160 amp alternator to consider for a project.
The connection lugs for the potential 160 amps (@12 volts) are tiny 1/4" studs ??

The wires that will have to carry the 160 amps to the inverter are over 1/2" thick, so how can 1/4 studs carry 160 amps ?
All the alternators I look at are the same. My Delco 12SI rated at 96 amps max. also has these 3/16" tiny connectors.

Seems like a weak link in the chain ?

veggie

TimSR2

Voltage drop is caused by load, and of conductor size  over distance.   The small fastener will not cause a voltage loss unless there is corrosion or resistance at the terminal. In that case it would not last long at any size.
In the same fashion you can insert a couple of inches of #12 in a long #8 conductor run without ever noticing any difference, as the percentage of the current path is so small.

It was probably just a convenient size for the designer. I've never seen an alternator terminal fail.

BioHazard

Usually the alternator wire in a car is grossly undersized...my truck has a 63A alternator and came from the factory with a 10ga wire.
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

mobile_bob

generally the alternator post is a shouldered affair, being much larger than 1/4 inch at the shoulder where the eyelet connector comes into contact.

bob g

Thob

And most automotive alternators will only produce their advertised current under ideal conditions, and even then for only a brief period.  Normally they operate at a small fraction of their rated current.
Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

rcavictim

I explain this kind of cheaping out under the general term "Consumer Crap".
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.