News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

10SI Project

Started by squarebob, February 05, 2012, 03:34:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

squarebob,

I really like that Petter setup that you built. Very compact.
That's exactly what I have in mind for my little air cooled 165 Changfa and Delco 12Si.

How does the engine react when you switch on the alternator load.
Does it really bog down or just give a puff of black smoke and bark a little ?

veggie

squarebob

Everyone talks about stalling out their engines with too much load. No need to spin the alt at 5000 rpm if the engine can't handle the load. I sized the pulleys to not overload the engine. The engine puts out 1 HP per 1000 RPM. I slowed down the Alt. RPM based on the performance curve I have for the unit  (see attachment). The engine is variable speed so I can run the alternator RPM from about 500 (and 0 output) up to about 2000 RPM. Now the fastest I can get the engine to run with a battery bank that needs a lot of charge is about 3000 RPM and 1725 RPM on the Alt. It puts out about 35 Amps at 28 volts and a little gray smoke from the exhaust. As the bank charges up and the Amps drop, I can slow the engine down to match the needed output and save fuel. I built this as a charger to take my bank from about 80% to 100% and as a backup to my GM90 setup.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

veggie

cujet

Quote from: squarebob on February 06, 2012, 05:46:53 PM
  I have been out standing in a bunch of fields!!!!

That's perfect, I'll have to remember that!

Great project. I've been wanting to do something similar, so this is all very interesting to me.

squarebob

Well the direct drive worked good during the testing phase but I did not have a set of GC batteries to really put a load on the system

squarebob

When I hooked up a REAL battery that needed some charge, the little engine just struggled too much with the load. So I changed it from direct drive to pulleys. I went with a 3" on the engine and a 4" on the Alt. So now the Alt is turning at 75% of the engine RPM. Well that really made the little engine happy. It is not overloaded, I can run the RPM down and it runs fine. I am able to pull 50 AMPS at full throttle and I think that is pretty good for this setup. Remember, it's just a 99cc Harbor Freight engine! Now I need to finish up the wiring and the gauges and such so I can get the system online at the flying field.

veggie

squarebob,

That's a great looking unit. You did a nice job there !
Where did you acquire the vibration isolators ?
(part number?)

cheers,
veggie

squarebob

cheap cheap cheap

ANCHOR Part # 2393 Trans Mount

Rock Auto - $3.68 each

Fleabay - $3.17

Other places also

Bob

BioHazard

Great work, just like before. :) I guess my little 79cc HF engine won't have the balls to direct drive either. :-\ I think I'll try a bigger engine with the direct drive setup....
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

Tom Reed

I'd like to see a bracket off the outside bottom bolt back to the mounting plate. Looks like there will be a lot of twisting force on that standoff.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

ryanw95

SquareBob - how long are the bolts (threads) coming out of those rubber isolators (trans mounts)?
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.

squarebob

Tom, Thanks for your concern. The bottom standoff is 1" diameter round stock with a 5/16" hole drilled through for the 5/16" bolt. It is solid as a rock.

Ryan, the bolt coming out of the mount is just shy of an inch long.

Bob

BruceM

Great job on the nice looking charger, SquareBob, at an amazingly low cost.  I hope all the other RC'ers in your club will appreciate your effort greatly. 

Happy Landings,
Bruce

squarebob

Project Update: The system is completed and installed. I added a 85W solar panel and made a tracking mount for it also. The project is a success and the club is enjoying the system a lot.

LincTex

Quote from: squarebob on February 26, 2012, 07:47:08 PM
I slowed down the Alt. RPM based on the performance curve I have for the unit  (see attachment). The engine is variable speed so I can run the alternator RPM from about 500 (and 0 output) up to about 2000 RPM.

A lot of folks caution against running the alternator too slow due to decreased fan speed/cooling air flow.

How hot does your alternator get under load when spinning so slow?
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP