News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Truck Alternator For External Power

Started by BigGreen, December 18, 2011, 05:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigGreen

I read the below post on a RV forum and thought you guy's would have a good solution:

Touchy subject, I know, but it's time to bring it out of the closet! Who here has upgraded their tow vehicle alternator and wiring to provide inverted AC power to their TT (travel trailer)?

I realize that a tow vehicle's engine makes a very inefficient and expensive generator, but on the other hand, it is nearly silent and always at hand. To me it could serve as an "assist" generator, adding more charging amps into the TT's battery bank when under heavy load.

Again, no replacement for the main gennie, but the ability to assist (and downsize) the main gennie when inverting more power from the TT batts than it can provide. Here would be my process tree:

--Car engine running

--Beefy alternator kicking out 350 amps

--3000 watt inverter under the front seat serving AC power

--Aux power cable running from TV (tow vehicle) to aux inlet on TT

--Aux inlet powers dedicated converters to charge batts (IN ADDITION to TT's normal gennie charging same battery bank).

--TT inverter serving say 5000 watts to water heater, air conditioner, whatnot.

Now, I know that many here would say "use less power, you're camping". Okay, but what if I want to use more power, and I'm out there in the boonies? Is this doable?

Any ideas or suggestions? I liked the Vipor but pricey. The original post came from http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25646188/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

rl71459

I have not done it, But I think it could be done without too much trouble.

The big question becomes how much are we willing to pay to get it done. I personally think its a good idea. But that is probably because I tend to be an "Power Monger" (Electrical Power That Is) I like the thought of being able to run whatever when needed.

This has made me think about the GM Hybrid Pickup, Do they still sell those things? As I recall they even had a 240 volt outlet and were taylored to the contractor types... Plenty of Amps!

There are many brilliant minds here, I bet you will have many interesting responses!

Rob

mike90045

Alternators make their power at high RPM's,  an idling engine will maybe get you 50A out of a 350a alternator.  Get the engine rpm up to 3,000 RPM, and the alternator is at 10,000RPM, and will put out it's rated power.   Now I'll bet the tow vehicle is not so quiet.  And you will have to lift the hood, because there is no 40mph cooling air coming in.

I'd apply the price of the 350A alternator, to a small auto-throttle inverter genset and battery charger.

BigGreen

I carry a 3.5kw open frame genny and 5 gal of gas with me when I go camping. In cooler weather I use it for a few hours every day to charge the 2 T-105 bat's via camper charger. In the summer when A/C is desired I run it more, a lot more. None of this crossed my mind until I read that thread but maybe a 3kw gen head attached to my truck engine would be easier to deal with. No lugging the gen around, gas can in the bed worries, theft worries, etc... Determine truck idle, install a PM gen head using proper diameter sheeves to produce 120V at that speed. I'm sure my truck would produce more than 6hp no problem at idle but do not know. I can install a manual throttle control to dial in proper rpm if needed.

I'm sure there is a down side here.  

On Edit: I changed the Subject title because I see this thread going in a different direction.
Thanks

Tom T

I have an inverter wired in to the battery that way  itrks grate I run my computers off of it and any thing that needs 110 volts. I dont wory about the engine running for light use. It gives me a drop light if I need it like I said it works good. I cary a small Honda 2 kw .Tom T

Lloyd

Quote from: BigGreen on December 18, 2011, 05:48:30 AM
I read the below post on a RV forum and thought you guy's would have a good solution:

Touchy subject, I know, but it's time to bring it out of the closet! Who here has upgraded their tow vehicle alternator and wiring to provide inverted AC power to their TT (travel trailer)?

I realize that a tow vehicle's engine makes a very inefficient and expensive generator, but on the other hand, it is nearly silent and always at hand. To me it could serve as an "assist" generator, adding more charging amps into the TT's battery bank when under heavy load.

Again, no replacement for the main gennie, but the ability to assist (and downsize) the main gennie when inverting more power from the TT batts than it can provide. Here would be my process tree:

--Car engine running

--Beefy alternator kicking out 350 amps

--3000 watt inverter under the front seat serving AC power

--Aux power cable running from TV (tow vehicle) to aux inlet on TT

--Aux inlet powers dedicated converters to charge batts (IN ADDITION to TT's normal gennie charging same battery bank).

--TT inverter serving say 5000 watts to water heater, air conditioner, whatnot.

Now, I know that many here would say "use less power, you're camping". Okay, but what if I want to use more power, and I'm out there in the boonies? Is this doable?

Any ideas or suggestions? I liked the Vipor but pricey. The original post came from http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/25646188/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Big Green,

I can speak to your needs here http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=709.msg26061#msg26061 I just do it on a boat...water yacht...yours = land yacht

I run my alternators both on the main engines, and the DC Gen.

The DC gen produces 3.5 Kwhr battery charge, and 2.8 kwHr domestic hot Water all on a liter of dino. I run the gen an 1.5 hrs every other day.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

BigGreen

Thanks. What a beautiful yacht.
That answers the OP question but I changed ideas to serve my desire to install a 3kw a/c gen head on my truck engine to run my camper air conditioner directly. Rather than plugging the camper into a generator, have my truck running close to idle producing enough 120 a/c to handle a small ac. Any ideas of the best head that would fit under the hood for this?

Thanks   

rl71459

Lloyd

I love looking at your workmanship! Top Notch, I have always had great respect for those who take the time and money and do things right. Just Awsome!

Rob

Lloyd

Quote from: rl71459 on December 18, 2011, 11:56:53 AM
Lloyd

I love looking at your workmanship! Top Notch, I have always had great respect for those who take the time and money and do things right. Just Awsome!

Rob

Quote from: BigGreen on December 18, 2011, 11:49:32 AM
Thanks. What a beautiful yacht.
That answers the OP question but I changed ideas to serve my desire to install a 3kw a/c gen head on my truck engine to run my camper air conditioner directly. Rather than plugging the camper into a generator, have my truck running close to idle producing enough 120 a/c to handle a small ac. Any ideas of the best head that would fit under the hood for this?

Thanks   

Thanks Guys,

The money saved amortizes the money spent...on machine costs, that's why I always harp on frugal as opposed to cheap. My gen produces power at a cost of $.07 cents per Kwhr, while this seems close to grid costs, it doesn't include machine costs, and annual maintenance...Battery bank, and Inverter, plus associated cable. But for sure the lower my costs per KwHr, the faster I can amortize the investment in machine costs, and other hard costs.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.