News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Alternator Regulator

Started by squarebob, October 17, 2011, 10:13:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squarebob

I picked up a 24 V Niehoff regulator to play with on one of my 24V Alternators. Come to find out it is for a brushless alternator. It has 4 leads, Ground, Field 1, Field 2, and "R". Anyone know if this will work on a brushed Alternator and how it would be wired up. Here is a pick of the alternator it was intended for. Hope it doesn't end up on the "wish I would have done more research" shelf.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

Lloyd

Bob,

It depends on why and how you want to regulate.

All stock regulators are designed to replace the discharge of starting, then provide for the accessory amp loads while running down the road.

They were never designed to be battery chargers, as per say...

So one of the aftermarket regulators that does step charging is a much better regulator, to properly charge a house bank.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

squarebob

Here is my line of thinking. I have a GM90 6/1 with a 24V 150A Alternator with a Balmar to do the main charge event to a 450Ah battery bank. It also has a 7.5KW head for direct 120 V use. Yes, both are oversized for the 6/1, but the 6/1 may be replaced one day. I have picked up a 3.5 HP @3600 RPM Petter AA1 that I thought I would run at about 1800 to 2000 RPM to drive a smaller 24V alternator to take the battery bank from 80% to 100% every 10 days or so at the times it would not make sense to run the 6/1. Fuel conservation and just playing with another diesel is my motive. So I thought a "regular" regulator would fit the bill for the small Petter setup. Now I find out it's for a brushless alternator.

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

Lloyd

Quote from: squarebob on October 17, 2011, 06:51:55 PM
Here is my line of thinking. I have a GM90 6/1 with a 24V 150A Alternator with a Balmar to do the main charge event to a 450Ah battery bank. It also has a 7.5KW head for direct 120 V use. Yes, both are oversized for the 6/1, but the 6/1 may be replaced one day. I have picked up a 3.5 HP @3600 RPM Petter AA1 that I thought I would run at about 1800 to 2000 RPM to drive a smaller 24V alternator to take the battery bank from 80% to 100% every 10 days or so at the times it would not make sense to run the 6/1. Fuel conservation and just playing with another diesel is my motive. So I thought a "regular" regulator would fit the bill for the small Petter setup. Now I find out it's for a brushless alternator.

Bob

Bob,

Good idea...but the multi-step regulator will be the preferred control method for absorption through float...The stock reg types will have a tendency to overcharge, and they are not voltage compensated.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.