News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Anyone got a schematic for ......

Started by lowspeedlife, November 23, 2010, 02:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowspeedlife

Has anyone got a schematic for the solid-state regulators (i believe they would be a regulator) used on the older small diesel engines. the ones where they have a small alternator producing AC current that varies from about 15 to 40 volts AC with engine speed. the regulators are usually an aluminum finned heat sink with the components epoxied into the back & bolted where they can recieve some air flow. I purchased a small Ford lawn tractor with the 14 hp, three cylinder Shibura diesel engine in it. it runs great but i can never get it to start cold 'cause the Reg dosen't recharge the battery  from the last use.

Thanks,  Scott.
Old Iron For A New Age

TimSR2

It might be best to convert to a GM 10si  or 12 si rather than bother with repairing what you have...  I convert everything to gm if I have problems, cheaper and interchangeable in case of trouble.   A whole new rebuild 10si is cheaper than just the regulator for other makes.

Tom Reed

Some places carry rebuild kits for the S10 units for around $15.00.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

lowspeedlife

I had thought about an automotive alternator, would need one not much bigger than a softball & would still need to alter cooling hoses & mounting. my biggest concern with an auto alt is pulling grass, dirt & other mowing debris into the alternator, as it will sit low on the engine & be on the mower discharge side.

scott r.
Old Iron For A New Age

mobile_bob

most automotive alternators are pretty forgiving about dirt, dust and crap going through them, especially given the rather limited amount of time you will likely need it for.

just mount it and hose it out every so often and it should outlive the mower, or blow it out with an air nozzle if you are concerned with flushing it with water.

btw, water won't hurt an automotive alternator if you do it while it is not running, then let it sit for a bit, restart it so it can blow dry itself and its back to the race track.

bob g

lowspeedlife

Well, that looks like what i'll have to do, now to find something appropreate (sp?)

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age