News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

External regulator for Delco 22SI?

Started by BioHazard, September 26, 2010, 03:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BioHazard

I have a remanufactured 180 amp Delco 22SI truck alternator with a self exciting regulator. The alternator case has a slot for two terminals marked 1 and 2, but mine is plugged with a peice of plastic. I understand I can change this out rather easily with a regulator that has a sense wire instead for charging batteries.

Is this alternator suitable for use with the fancy external regulators such as the ones Xantrex and Balmar make, rather than the stock Delco regulator?

Additionally, is it possible to change the voltage of the alternator simply by replacing the regulator? (from 12v to 24v) Or is the stator different too? I was wondering if maybe I could get two external regulators, and choose from either 12 or 24 volts out of the same alternator?
Do engines get rewarded for their steam?

BioHazard

Don't all jump in at once now.  :P

How about this...does anybody know where I can download a service manual for the Delco 22SI alternator? It used to be on the delco website but I can't find it anymore...I thought I saved it but I can't find that either. My alt seems to be locked up from storing it in the barn where the humidity is high... :-\

Geno

Bob's alternator testing posts should give you an idea of how best to utilize the alternator for battery charging. When I put a variac in place of the regulator to vary the field I was able to get higher output voltage but at around 40 volts without a load it was acting as if there was a load on it. I don't understand why. When I swapped in a 24 volt regulator it worked fine. Leece-Neville 110-555JHO.

Thanks, Geno

http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/Alternator-Instruction-Sheets/19SI,-21SI,-22SI---23SI-installation-instructions_.aspx

http://www.delcoremy.com/Documents/Alternator-Service-Manuals/35,-36SI-HP-REMOTE-SENSE-FOR-REPLACING-21,-22,-23,.aspx

http://www.surepower.com/pdf/180096c.pdf

mobile_bob

the delco alternators are all N type units, meaning the regulator controls the ground side of the field

the balmar, xantrex etc are all made for P type units, as they control the amount of current being supplied to the field

so, in order to use one of these regulators, you will have to have the delco reworked internally to become a P type machine

it can be done by any competent rebuilder and shouldn't cost to much because it requires no parts, aside from possibly another terminal
which he ought to have in his junk box at the back of the bench.

i have changed over several delco alternators, however it is very difficult to explain how to do so on a forum

as for the question of being able to do dual charge 12 and 24 with two separate regulators, yes it is possible to do so, however
it is easy to not have everything switched over and have a magic smoke event.

those regulators are expensive and when the release the magic smoke you will have a real knot in your stomach, don't ask me how
i know this.

ideally i would set up the engine to drive dual alternators, one for 12volts and the other for 24 or whatever you want
you will need the 12volt source for excitation for the other alternator anyway (that is if you do it like i did) and then you only
need a single regulator to control the 24volt side and let the oem regulator do the 12volt side unless you plan on some large 12volt deep cycle battery bank, in which case you will likely want to use a balmar/xantrex or whatever to control the 12volt alternator as well. at the very least a regulator with a separate sense line.

as for you unit acting like it is bound up, it is probably rusty, and that rust has bridged the airgap,
simply disassemble the alternator, and carefully sand off the clawpoles of the rotor and more carefully the stator teeth
to restore the clearance.. and then use an air nozzle to blow out all the grit when you are done.

might be best done by the guy that is going to convert the unit to a "P" type anyway?

bob g

BioHazard

Thanks for the info guys, that clears a lot up for me. Not sure how I'm gonna use it now...I might just throw it in my truck to replace the "high output" 63 amp. lol

I know all about that magic smoke....guess how long an expensive antique outboard motor will run with no oil? About 10 minutes at WOT.... ::)