News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Big oil cooled alternator

Started by EBI-WPO, June 17, 2010, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBI-WPO

To have B.S. aimed at you is an insult to your intelligence......To have B.S. spread about you is an insult to your character.....Neither should be tolerated willingly.   EBI-WPO 2010

mobile_bob

the DN50 also comes in an aircooled version, the oil cooled ones from what i recall are not very efficient because of the oil drag
on the rotor, seems i read about that somewhere.

the cool thing about the one listed, is it is a relatively rare belt driven oil cooled version, most were gear driven off the back accy
drive of a detroit, where the oil could return to the engine gear case.

bob g

cgwymp

Quote from: EBI-WPO on June 17, 2010, 11:45:17 AM
It is a 24vdc. (not AC as the seller indicates) see list below.

Hehe.  I think the seller confused "AC" (as in alternating current) with the company named "ACDelco"....
Listeroid 8/1

SteveU.

Hi Guys
Confirm all of your information. I used to rebuilds these for the local transit district. All they had were oilcooled direct gear drive off of Detroits. Was only ever able to "bounce" test them only belt driving them on my 5 HP Weidenhoff test bench. Dedicated expensive United factory test bench allowed full oil cooled loaded testing. Was requiring locale transite to ship out of state with a 2 week turn-a-round. I was one day.
Interesting note: local public TSD had to start accounting for ALL motor oil usage. Anything NOT measured as removed on service changes was assumed to have leaked out on the roads or blown out the exhaust into the air.
They had to switch the whole fleet to Cummins to prevent loss of matching State and Federal funds.

Regards
SteveU.
"Use it up. Wear it out. Make do. Or do without."
"Trees are the Answer" to habitat, water, climate moderation, food, shelter, power, heat and light. Plant, grow, and harvest more trees. Then repeat. Trees the ultimate "no till crop". Trees THE BEST solar batteries. Now that is True sustainability.