Started by Tom Reed, February 13, 2023, 08:50:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

Oh Boy......, ::) Another person got suckered, I feel sorry for the owner when the thing gets hours on it. That is if it runs properly after 10 hours.

The Holley Snipers are the most un-reliable throttle body fuel injection system out there. How do I know? I went through 2 of them in a span of less than 2-1/2 years. They both lasted for less than 10,000 miles each. The thing's never ran right from day one. I've spent Days!!! On line with tech support trying to get things worked out. The average time waiting on line for tech support to pick up is about forty minutes. And I called at least 30 times. And, that's not including the time spent speaking to the technicians. If I can give Holley Sniper a lower rating of (F-) I would. But on the other hand, the Sniper 1100 might last a 100 hours before it craps out. Heck, it's only used on an emergency stand by generator. On average, how many hours do they run in their lifetime.

Another thing, there was an 8 week wait for Holley repair department to just look at them. Then more time if parts are back ordered. And, then once the Sniper comes back, did they just look at it and throw it back in the box and say it's good, or did they repair it. Ask me how I know!

Guys, do yourselves a favor. Stay with a Carb.

Oh another thing! The person on the clip. Falsified specs. He needs to go back and re-read the Sniper 1100 specs.

Wow!!! This got me worked up! I'm going back out to work on my Skunkworks Project! Life is good! :)

Tom Reed

;D
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

you're a bad bad man, Tom Reed!

:)
(ducking and covering)
bob g

Henry W

LOL, Tom knows how to get me worked up.  He knows what I went through with the Sniper's and pushed the right buttons. Tom you got me. :)

Henry W

Hey, I'm getting over 4 more miles per gallon with the Holley 390 4 barrel, model #8007 than the Sniper 2300! I'm full of joy. Finally have a great running truck.
I'm feeling great!!! :)

Henry W

A retired Ford engineer that I know told me to go Carb. And for a good reason. I learned the hard way. Just recently I heard a good one, TBI is like putting Lipstick on a Pig. Did anyone think why TBI was only used for only a few years from automotive manufacturers?

If you're considering fuel injection, go MPFI. Preferably OEM setup for the specific engine. Manufactures already did all the hard work.

If you absolutely want to try TBI, go with GM. At least you can get parts and repair it yourself. With the Sniper, your at the mercy of Holley.

DKMC

I saw that video and found it interesting, although I have to wonder why anyone would spend the money on a spark engine and not just go diesel these days.

Tom Reed

That thought was on my mind too. That guy spent a lot of $ and still had an old generator.
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

The person invested about a $1,000.00 just in the fuel system. I think that is a good chunk of money for a fuel system that is unreliable.

Tom Reed

I wonder what happens when that Sniper sits for a year with old fuel in it?
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

When the annular nozzles for the injector plugs up, the sniper has to be sent in to Holley to get extracted and replaced. It's also likely that the ECU will get cooked. The warranty is only a year.

DKMC

Quote from: Henry W on February 23, 2023, 05:28:55 PMWhen the annular nozzles for the injector plugs up, the sniper has to be sent in to Holley to get extracted and replaced. It's also likely that the ECU will get cooked. The warranty is only a year.

Sounds like the worst possible pile of crap to have on an 'emergency' gen set!

Henry W

I could not of said it better!

Henry W

One of the flaws of the Snipers TBI is the ECU is in the TBI body. Stock inline sixes have the intake manifold above the exhaust manifold. And lots of inline six intake manifold plenums are mounted directly to the exhaust manifold. There is lots of heat baking the Sniper TBI ecu when the engine is shut down. When the fuel is not circulating in the TBI the ECU gets cooked.

If the ECU was out of the TBI and mounted in a location where it's cool the TBI would have a longer survival rating.

But, a TBI is still like putting lipstick on a pig. Some things just can't be helped no matter how pretty you try to make it.