News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

DIY inverter generator

Started by bryanb, January 22, 2019, 06:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryanb

Quote from: LowGear on February 02, 2019, 03:24:56 PM
My understanding of the SMA Sunnyboy (grid tie solar inverter) and Windyboy (grid tie wind turbine inverter) can be programmed back and forth.  I'm not sure about the later models.

Yes, the Windyboy is ideal for my purpose! Unfortunately all three of the companies that produced Canadian Certified wind inverters: SMA (windyboy), Ginlong, and the other company (can't remember the name)  have discontinued production of wind inverters.  If you know of any used ones that are available, please let me know!

bryanb

My son just gave me the idea of installing a current regulator between the generator and the inverter.  The heat requirement (thermostat) would control the generator RPM and the current regulator at the same time.  This would stop the inverter MPPT from constantly "testing" the load and messing with the engine governor.  Not ideal but do-able?  Anyone have any input on the feasibility of an adjustable current regulator?  How could it be varied?

glort

I have been looking for such a device for some time.
Ideally something I could set a current in that would never be exceeded by either PWM on the input or direction to a dump load. Wouldn't worry me but would be very useful.

I was looking last night and found an ACS 759? sensor that could be coupled to an arduino to perform such a task.They do 50 or 100A so well in current spec and I surmise from what I have read they will do suitable voltage but couldn't find the specs on that anywhere.
The programing would be a bit involved I think and I'd much prefer to just buy something commercially made.

I would like something to do mains AC where as what you need is DC and in my limited knowledge, that seems a lot harder to do in high voltage DC.

bryanb

Quote from: glort on February 06, 2019, 04:42:32 AM
I would like something to do mains AC where as what you need is DC and in my limited knowledge, that seems a lot harder to do in high voltage DC.

In my experience, DC is much easier to control that AC because of the AC zero crossing timing.  I can control the current after the rectifier on the DC side or before on the AC side, so I have a choice.
In DC, you just change the duration of the pulse.  I too was hoping there was a device already available but it does not look hopeful. The Arduino will have to control the PWM current control at the same time as the throttle of the engine.  It will take some playing to coordinate the two and I don't have a handle on the mechanics of the throttle control servo mechanism.   So, another aspect of the project to research ...
Would sure be simpler if the SMA Sonnyboy MPPT could be changed to an RPM associated table curve instead.

Does anyone have experience playing with (setting up) the Sonnyboy MPPT?

LowGear

Darn.  My spare is hidden under the work bench just in case my Sunny Boy goes South.  The plan would be to swap them out and then use the yellow Sunny Boy cover to hide my deed.  How about a search on eBay as I have for the Sunny Island device.

bryanb

Quote from: LowGear on February 07, 2019, 11:52:43 AM
How about a search on eBay

Yeh, been there done that ...  There is only one that shows up and it is too small.  I need at least a 5000 - 6000 watt one.  I have phoned a bunch of dealers, repairers, and installers, to no avail.  
The three products that would work and are grid-tie certified here are:
- SMA Windyboy, - ABB Power-One, - Ginlong Solis,  in the 5-7 kW range with single phase output.

I have asked a couple of installers if a Sonnyboy can be converted to a Windyboy and the answer is always - NO.  Different beasts.  The MPPT is not changeable.

glort

What model of the power one's?

I have several, 2 kw and 3.6 Kw units and have used them in this setup. Can be seen in my Vids. They definately Hunt searching for peak power.

bryanb

Quote from: glort on February 08, 2019, 08:44:12 PM

What model of the power one's?

I have several, 2 kw and 3.6 Kw units and have used them in this setup. Can be seen in my Vids. They definately Hunt searching for peak power.

are they solar models or wind models?

bryanb

The ABB PVI-5000/6000-TL-OUTD (North America) is one ...

glort

Remind me again of the benefit of that inverter to your purposes?

If it is the idea they don't ramp up and down looking for the sweet spot of the input, I would be extremely surprised if that is not exactly what they do.
I know the ones I do certainly are like that and I see nothing different in these other than being higher capacity than the ones I have.

Are you intending to modify them or is there something I have missed ( which wouldn't be hard!)

LowGear

I'm confused.  There are many Sunny Boy inverters on the US eBay site.  These are one program intervention away from being Windy Boys.  That's a free download or was a few years ago.  I'm thinking the cable is about $25.  And they're no longer the >$1500 that I paid for my first Sunny Boy.  That's why I couldn't say "No" to the Windy Boy when it flashed up on the screen at something less than $1000. 

glort

I Just bought another aurora 3.6 with 4kw of  260W panels this weekend. $400 all up.
I'll keep the panels and start replacing some of the smaller ones I have with the 260's. I'll be able to sell the smaller ones for more than I paid for the 260's.  The inverter is a good score. panels are easy to get and last a long time. Used inverters coming onto the market are earlier generations and there isn't so many of them as they last no nearly as long as panels.

I have  5 Kw Sunny boy that has a fault but isn't that old. Tossing up wether to have it repaired. There is a guy not too far away that quotes $150 for all repairs.  Might be worth while as I'll need a 5 Kw soon for the north roof of the house. Then again if it can be programed to a wind configuration and I can get the program.... Might be better for other things.
Just  got a 12 KW motor to set up as an IMAG so the sunnyboy would be ideal for that but then agaqin, can always hook it direct to the power supply as I am not concerned about meeting any stipulations for getting payment or credit.

bryanb

Quote from: LowGear on February 16, 2019, 09:48:34 AM
These are one program intervention away from being Windy Boys.  That's a free download or was a few years ago.   

Everyone I talked to said that a Sonny Boy could not be changed to a Windy Boy.  Please tell me more about this! Where did you get your information?

bryanb

Quote from: glort on February 11, 2019, 04:47:34 AM

If it is the idea they don't ramp up and down looking for the sweet spot of the input

Are you intending to modify them or is there something I have missed ( which wouldn't be hard!)

The difference between a Sonny Boy and a Windy Boy is the MPPT method.  The Windy Boy does NOT ramp up and down looking for the sweet spot.  It has an RPM input and compares the generator RPM to the table curve to determine the current draw.  No hunting.  If the generator is turning this fast, draw that amount of current.
LowGear has posted that the Sonny Boy MPPT can be converted to a Windy Boy type of MPPT algorithm.  If this is the case, I will be a happy man!

Any info I can get on this procedure is greatly appreciated!

glort

So the windy would need to be programed to each individual alternator so it knew what it was going to be doing at a certain output.

How would that be achieved?  You would need to connect the alternator to a motor of some sort and run it  from zero to max RPM to build the reference table would you not or have one from the manufacturer of the alt with a certain specfic blade in this case.

I just need to work out the best way to mount my 180Kg Motor and 70Kg engine now.
Thinking to mount them both solid and use a belt tension instead of having them on rails to adjust the tension.