News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ Inverter Generator

Started by Henry W, May 22, 2015, 09:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I've been so busy coaching on a summer track team  and volunteering for the high school track team that I see there was a need for a small portable generator that is able to run cooling fans, chiller packs and other odds and ends. I purchased a Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ Inverter Generator. Costco had them on sale for $499.99. Savings was $100.00.
So far I'm very impressed with the setup. A magnetic filler plug was purchased and installed before its first startup. I just finished putting variable loads on it for 4 hours and than an oil change and magnet plug cleanup was performed.  This generator is quiet. At  51dB I can stand right next to it and carry a conversation without raising my voice. It starts very easy. Usually requires one pull to get it running. After tomorrow I will be posting more about it with pictures. Have a track meet tomorrow so I need to turn in. We need to be at the track by 7:30am to set up. The generator will be powering 4 fans once the temperature raises. There's plenty to write about the generator. I'll try to write more in 24 hours.

Henry

Henry W

Had a very busy day yesterday at the track. We got there at 7:30 am and got out of there at 8:00 pm. The generator was fired up by 8am and ran nonstop. until 6:15 pm. The output varied from from 158 watts to 1172 watts in early morning. The high usage was a microwave oven that was used to heat up coffee and breakfast sandwiches for some of the coaches. Total use was less than 10 minutes. Once things got going the generator seen a constant load between 480 and 528 watts until it was shut down at 6:15 pm. This generator has a load rating of 8 hours @ 50% load. I was very surprised that it did run for 10-1/4 hours without refueling. I do know the average load was between 480 and 528 watts for 10 hours.

The generator has a fuel capacity of 1.1 gallons. It ran a total time of just over ten hours using smart throttle mode the whole time. The fuel used is 89 octane ethanol free. One thing I was concerned was it being stolen so I brought along a 30 foot cable and locked it around a large tree.

After the end of the day I followed some simple steps before putting the generator away is, run it out of fuel by turning the fuel shutoff on. Once the engine starts running out of fuel by sputtering and surging move the choke lever in and out quickly to suck as much fuel out of the carb. Once it stalls, pull the starter cord until the engine is on the compression stroke, and slide choke lever out. Than let the generator sit for about 10 minutes. Once it's been sitting, loosen the gas cap to release pressure and than re tighten. By following these steps I noticed no fumes in the Xterra.

Comments by others are:

How quiet it is. The tone is very pleasant. The exhaust is very low toned, not high pitched. Conversations were carried out all day without  needing to raise your voice.

Size. It's small enough to put in any vehicle.

Price. $499.97.  Great price since the Hondas and Yamaha branded ones of the same output are roughly $1,100.00.

Ease of use. The layout is very nice. When carrying the generator it feels like a suitcase, there are no sharp edges to catch clothing. The weight is about 50 pounds.

This inverter generator will be used today during a fundraiser car wash and just about every weekend until the end of August. So a good assessment should be made how they hold up.

More to come.

Henry W

Here are some pictures.

LowGear

Isn't this one of those units you can daisy-chain them if you need more power?

You pulled about 500 watts an hour for about 10 hours or 5 KW for the price of a gallon of gas.  $.60 a KW isn't cheap but rubbing sticks together can get boring about the fourth hour.

Casey

Henry W

Hello Casey,

Yes these units can be paralleled to double the wattage. About fuel efficiency, I got aprox. $.57KW. (Very close to your number) It still is not cheap but it's better than lots of conventional generators. I am concerned about making it through the day without running out of gas. I don't feel like toting around a gas can during a track meet. A wagon filled with canopy, generator, 4 fans, cooler, 2 cots and 3 chairs is enough to pull along on the grounds.

It seems like it will serve its purpose well. We will see what it does.

Dualfuel

thanks for posting that review and the photos...looks like it would be handy out at the junk yard. Good price too.

Henry W

Here is an update on the generator.
It went through the 20 hour break in and 2 oil changes. I felt it was time to see how it handles a full load. Well, it could not handle the 1600 watt full load at all. The economy mode was off when the load was applied and the engine bogged down. The overload light never came on. So I decided to reduce the load to 1350 watts. A toaster oven was used for this test. Again, the overload light never came and this time the generator stopped producing power. it turns out the inverter went bad. So, I tried two more generator sets and all did the same thing. So we brought it back for a full refund. As I'm writing I am testing out another 2000 watt inverter generator. I'll be posting about this one later.
So, the way it stands, I cannot recommend this one. More later on.

Tom Reed

Oh sure, get us all excited and then pull the plug, so to speak.  :-* Thanks for the report.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

Henry W

It was a disappointment. The unit worked fine with up to a 1000 watt load.

BruceM

The cold inrush current for a heating type appliance is likely to be substantially above the rated current draw.  The specs for the inverter are likely overly optimistic (marketing BS) with no head room for even a minor start surge. 

Dualfuel

Thanks for your honesty...good to know...I have a Honda EU3000i and it will run the mig welder in a pinch but I prefer the CCK Onan for that appliance. The Honda is going on 4 years old now and the only issue has been the fraying starting cord. It was $1800 new though.

I suppose, down the road, these less expensive generators' quality will improve. Who wants to be the guinea pig though?

thomasonw

Ya, too bad - esp after they made such a point about the Yamaha engine being used!  And USB to boot!  (Err, wait honey, need to charge the phone!)   :D

Hey, FWIW:  I was able to use our Honda brand 2000i generator to run an old 1/2HP craftsman table saw.  Did need to disable to smart speed mode, but it worked Ok spinning things up and would power through even thick purple heart wood.  No idea the real 'watts' being asked from it.

-al-

Henry W

I guess I'm the guinea pig.

Here are the inverter generators I've tried that as far as I'm concerned is stay away from them.

1.      Duracell DS20R1i 2200W Inverter Generator
        Hard starting, noisy, carberator problems, blowing black smoke, running rich. Could not pull the rated load. Sold it.

2.      Smarter Tools AP-2000iQ
        Went through 3 units.  Cannot pull rated load. Inverter went on the last one. Engines bogg down and and overload lights never came on.

3.     Champion 2000 watt inverter generator. Model #73540i
      Opened the box the packaging bag was full of oil. Oil does not come with the unit. Prepped it. Started it up. The generator was noisy, rattles.   Blows blue smoke. Engine hunting, surging.