News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Diesels at play........?

Started by billswan, January 18, 2011, 07:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billswan

Guys

This is worth watching, might be worth a laugh.

Has nothing to do with CHP but it does have the diesels as smoke belching ..........................

http://www.bangshift.com/blog/Crazy-Race-Video-Swedish-Tractor-Racing-With-Plows-in-the-Ground.html

Billswan ;D ;D
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

Tom Reed

Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

mobile_bob

the amazing thing to me is the cooling system!

been a while since i piloted a tractor, 1973, and it was a jd4010 pulling iirc a 14foot disc set
and to finish i field i would push that girl almost that hard, but would have to drop a gear and let her
cool down ever 50 yards or so.

kept one eye on the temp gage and one on the disc line, i didn't want even an inch of overlap!

the old jd would roll black smoke, but nothing as bad as in the vid, which brings me back to cooling issues, and wonder
how they got around that problem in their little competition.

bob g

LowGear

Great video for Ford Tractor.  What's his mechanics name?

Really nice values statement in the winners circle kiss ceremony.

But why or how is there any top soil left on the planet?    ;)

Chris

Must have been close to BeerO'clock.
Hope the boss man wasn't looking

mobile_bob

as a matter of fact he was watching, however he noticed that i did back out of the tractor periodically
so it could cool down, i figured he would chew me up over that little stunt, but he didn't.

i suspect he was guilty of pushing the tractor himself, he was kind of hard on things, me included.

bob g

injin man

Great clip! My mothers family all lived off the land around Danville Va. I was driving a
Massey Fergusson before I could drive a car. I've got 27 1/2 acres and picked up a decent
'74 Ford 4000 3 cyl Diesel it's 52 HP. I've done some pretty fast mowing with a 6 foot
brush hog, but running a disk that fast is pretty hard on a tractor that old. That's not a
new tractor either. Tractors are definitely cool and Fords are the stuff.

rcavictim

That exhaust stack looked like it was glowing a dull orange.  Hard to see in the daylight.  It amazes me that exhaust valves wouldn't melt at those power levels.
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

billswan

Quote from: mobile_bob on January 18, 2011, 10:27:43 AM
the amazing thing to me is the cooling system!

wonder
how they got around that problem in their little competition.

bob g

Well the pulling part of the clip is about 4 minutes. Short run.
And if the engine is cold when starting the competition that helped.
Then you notice that the engine does get a second or two of no black exhaust when turning on the ends.
Then when the race or what ever it is is over you notice the driver and everyone else is dressed for cool weather.
Well it is my guess that if the race was 1 minute longer or the rounds were 100 foot longer all the coolant would be steam.
Sure hope that those tractors are not those farmers main bread winners. Had to shorten those engines lives by a bunch. You know that they had to practice at least a little so more wear.

Billswan
16/1 Metro DI at work 900rpm and 7000watts

10/1 Omega in a state of failure

vdubnut62

Sodium filled exhaust valves are wonderful things............. :)
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Dail R H

Down home, we'de call that "stannin on it", lol pretty neat competition

DRDEATH

Hey Dail, how you been?? Haven't heard from you for awhile. Hope the winter is doing OK for you. Mike DD
As long as Breast Cancer Kills, I will support the battle. Please help support your local chapters.