Diesel Lubricity Additive Study Results

Started by Henry W, October 20, 2013, 08:17:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

I found a study on diesel fuel additives. This will be helpful to many.

Henry

Notes: Must be logged in to open the PDF attachments below.

The two PDF attachments posted below are from the same study. One is easier to compare the differences of the test results.

thomasonw

Nice, interesting how two of the 'common wisdom' results piled up:

5% Bio          = Great
Old Engine Oil = Nothing changed...

Not going to talk about MMO

-al-

glort

I remember arguing with some ignorants on a 4Wd forum years ago when that report came out.
All these blowhards that thought nothing of sinking their precious trucks in 3 ft of water every 2nd weekend wouldn't put no damn 2 stroke in their fuel and ruin their engines and don't even mention that Biodiesel crap!

Yep, didn't matter what no reports said, putting that stuff in your fuel would kill your engine stone dead the first time it fired.
Of course the numerous people that did try it all reported much smoother running, the engine quietening down noticeably and many said they got better fuel economy.
I Failed to see any mechanism that would allow better economy but still the ignorants huffed and puffed that they weren't going to put that in their engines.

Of course when it was pointed out that there were people that run their vehicles on Straight veg oil and even some that used Transmission fluid and waste engine oil, they were just going to bring on the rapid death of their engines.
I have been running WVO 8 years this month and I'm still waiting for an engine to fall over.
Only time I worry is the odd occasion when I'm forced to use regular Diesel.  I console myself that there is always some oil in the tank to give it some lube value.

Nope, no putting a cupful of 2-stroke or bio in these fella's tanks.
Much better to stick to putting the thing through mud bogs and crashing over rocks and driving down the sides of cliff's etc every weekend!

quinnf

Great information.  I'm not surprised that my beloved Marvel Mystery Oil worsened the lubricity.  It smells like a solvent, not an oil.  I've used it as a gas additive in a marginal flathead marine engine and it kept the intake valves from sticking due to carbon buildup.  Never considered putting it in the oil.  It's also good to use anytime you need a lightweight assembly oil, though I prefer to use STP oil additive when you need the lube to stay put.  

Thanks for posting that.

Quinn

glort

Not surprisingly to me at all, Marvel Misery oil IS in fact mainly a solvent like just about every other cleaner/ additive for fuel and oil out there.

IF you look at the MSDS http://cdn.teachersource.com/downloads/msds/ENV-105MSDS.pdf  you can see like most of these things they are mainly Naptha with maybe some diesel or kero thrown in as a general rule.

I looked into a lot of these products a while back and they are all nearly the same... all based substantially on plain old naphtha.  Here in Oz many of these concoctions can sell for $15 or more for a 125-250Ml bottle.  A litre of Naptha last time I bought it about 12 months ago was $9 and that was from a place not known for it's rock bottom prices.
Every now and then when I remember it I throw a gulp in the tank or occasionally in the oil just before I change it.
Never sure what good it does in the oil particularly as if you keep your oil clean there shouldn't be any build up and if there is it mainly sticks to non Moving parts anyway and it takes a lot of neglect for the oil to sludge up the passage ways.

For the occasional engine flush I just fill the engine with biodiesel and let it sit over night then drop it.  I throw what comes out in my wvo settling tanks then process as normal so it doesn't get wasted.

One thing interesting with that report was the Ratios they used.
Some products that made an improvement were used very sparingly. Probably a good thing considering their price but one wonders how they would go if one could afford to run at say double or quadruple the dose.

Same goes for Bio. If 2% was good, surely 5-10% would be a lot better and as B50 and above is available some places, people running that could expect to get very good lives from their engines, Ip's and Injectors I would think. 

Last time I was talking on a forum about this one guy on the outskirts of the city who had a small farm got interested in my opinion and got some processed WVO off me.
I told him to just slop 5L or so into the tank of his truck, tractor and whatever else he was using.  He too thought it made a big difference to the way the engines quieted down and ran and was apparently stoked because he got an extra 200 RPM out of his tractor when slashing a steep hill .  He seemed really stoked with that for some reason.  I couldn't see oil in the fuel reducing friction in the engine THAT much and WVO has a lower energy value than diesel so I couldn't explain his results but he repeated them several times over the months and was really excited about it. 

He became a convert and sourced his own supply and copied my processor design so he had all the supply he needed for all his equipment. He started putting it in his petrol engines as well but I advised to keep that to about 100:1 to be on the safe side.
I run it in my 2 stroke mower at 20:1 instead of 25:1 ( as I would do with any oil anyway) and so far it's worked well. If I'm cutting really long grass and going to be giving the thing a Hiding ( it is hotted up way over stock) I bump the oil to 16:1. No carbon buildup and the engine seems to be wearing very well. I pulled it down the other week and after 3 years of abuse, I was surprised to see the bore was still very good and there was no play in the bearings.
Even the rings were fine so I put new gaskets on and put it back together.