Deka industrial battery White Paper

Started by Lloyd, April 27, 2011, 06:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd

http://www.dekabatteries.com/assets/base/0656.pdf

Hi all,

I found this white paper from Deka on industrial batteries. This is one good pdf of information about batteries, even if it is in re industrial batteries.

For instance I didn't know that the proper time to add water to bring up the cell level, is either during that last end of the absorption phase or during an equalize...the key is to add it when the bats are bubbling, and are very near to a full charge.

There are a dozen tidbits of very valuable info in this WP including.. a description of adding new electrolyte to cells that are under performing the SPG of other cells...According to everything I have ever read..never add new electrolyte unless the bat was spilled. Welcome to a myth buster...nice Easter egg.

If you manage a bat bank, I hope you enjoy this WP as much as I do.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.

mike90045

Thanks, I'm shredding trees night now to make a hard copy of this.

mobile_bob

i didn't read anything that alluded to adding acid to an underperforming cell, rather the assumption is made that
the electrolyte was either spilled or overwatered at some point?

certainly can't or shouldn't add acid to any cell without first fully charging, equalizing, fully discharging and repeat a couple times first
to make sure the cell is as fully restored as possible?

then a capacity test?

after all that maybe add acid?

bob g

Lloyd

Quote from: mobile_bob on April 28, 2011, 08:26:15 AM
i didn't read anything that alluded to adding acid to an underperforming cell, rather the assumption is made that
the electrolyte was either spilled or overwatered at some point?

certainly can't or shouldn't add acid to any cell without first fully charging, equalizing, fully discharging and repeat a couple times first
to make sure the cell is as fully restored as possible?

then a capacity test?

after all that maybe add acid?

bob g

Hi Bob,

here is the instruction on how to add Electrolyte.

"pg 20 Table 4-1
PROCEDURE FOR ADJUSTING THE SPECIFIC GRAVITY
OF THE ELECTROLYTE OF A BATTERY"

I am not saying that one should add new acid, but I think if you were to follow the test to the T on the prior page then it may be worth the effort.

"pg 19
Correcting a Sulfated Battery

If batteries are not operating full shifts, heat while on charge
and after charge, and if temperature corrected specific gravity
readings are below the manufacturer's specifications, the batteries
may be sulfated.
To restore a sulfated battery to good condition, carefully follow
this procedure:

6. Before condemning the battery, one last check should be
made to make sure the battery has not simply lost acid
by dumping or over-filling. Adjust the specific gravity to
the manufacturer's specification (see Table 4-1 -
Procedure for Adjusting the Specific Gravity of the
Electrolyte of a Battery)."

If a battery is truly sulfated adding any new acid will not improve the situation, but at the cost of acid, and a little labor, it could prove a sulfated and/or weak acid problem.

Lloyd
JUST REMEMBER..it doesn't matter what came first, as long as you got chickens & eggs.
Semantics is for sitting around the fire drinking stumpblaster, as long as noone is belligerent.
The Devil is in the details, ignore the details, and you create the Devil's playground.