News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

New project

Started by KeithO, August 04, 2010, 05:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KeithO

Having just got my big drum home , I'm now having a bit of a think.

Heres the plan at present.......
The most head I have to play with is 8 ft , so a 6 inch pipe down the small creek bed and then rising up to feed the top , or maybe a wooden flume.

Overshot wheel, It will be 6 ft 6 inches diameter and I'm going to cut the width down from 1.4 metres to about 500mm (20 inches) and weld 22 curved buckets

It will be driving a F&P smart drive motor to charge a battery bank invert etc etc, probably using chain then v belt to give about 50:1 at I reckon about 10 rpm at the wheel.
I'm still tossing up the mounting but I'm leaning towards using a trailer stub axle on each side and mounting the sprocket to the wheel, rather than a shaft through the wheel and taking the power off the shaft.
At 30 litres a second It could produce 150 to 250 watts output for about 9 months of the year so worthwhile in my book

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers
Keith

Jedon

Sounds like a fun project, looking forward to more pics and updates!

LowGear

Don't let fisheries find out.

Ronmar

The spindles/hubs should work ok, as long as they are in line.  If I were you I would mount the rotor in place first.  Then you could make up a basic brake dyno to measure the sustainable torque and RPM output of the rotor in operation.  Knowing that would make the gear ratio and generator choice a lot easier...
Ron
"It ain't broke till I Can't make parts for it"

Tom Reed

I'd go for the flume. I "think?" that you'd get a bit more out of it using both the velocity and fall of the water, but I'm no hydro expert.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

KeithO

I must say I like flumes too ,I'll probably end up using a bit of both.

A little update.
Progress is slow due to weather ,other projects and my general slackness. But I managed a few hours with a skillsaw and some abrasive blades and made a small start.
Internal width will be just over 400mm so I can cut up the centre section to make all the buckets

LowGear

Hi KeithO,

I've never seen one of those huge wire spools I didn't want.  And plastic is pretty easy to work with - part of the lure for me. 

I'm just thinking that looks like a lot of mass to move for 2-300 watts.  How many watts do you think it will take to move it? 

Casey

Tom Reed

Care to share how you scored that nice spool?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

lowspeedlife

Quote from: LowGear on September 15, 2010, 11:42:09 AM
Hi KeithO,

I've never seen one of those huge wire spools I didn't want.  And plastic is pretty easy to work with - part of the lure for me. 

I'm just thinking that looks like a lot of mass to move for 2-300 watts.  How many watts do you think it will take to move it? 

Casey

That spool appears to be made of steel & they sure aren't cheap. They charge us about $600.00 when we don't return one.

SR
Old Iron For A New Age

LowGear

Holy Moly,

I just blew up the photos.  I think you're right about it being steel.  What a project!  More mass than I dreamed of.  I guess once it gets going round and round it wouldn't require any more mass that Styrofoam?  I say "I guess?"

Casey

KeithO

Yes it is steel , just over a ton.
It used to have heavy steel wire rope on it , i managed to get it before the the scrappers took it  ;D
In remote areas shipping them back empty costs more than they are worth.

rcavictim

Keith,

That looks like a kewl project.  Please keep us updated on your progress!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.

KeithO

Will do.
I had a hold up when my generator and buzz box wasn't cutting the mustard on 5mm steel.
I have been loaned a huge old Deutze powered Millar welder. (I'll cry when I have to give it back)
Ive done 7 of the 22 buckets so far and scrounged a 55mm axle and bearings.
Will post some pics when my camera comes back from holidays.

Cheers
Keith

KeithO

Progress pics
All buckets fitted and welded on back / outer side ,
Should have the inner side done in a day or so
Next step, the axle

I have rethought the siting on the creek to a place more accessible and shorter penstock but with a slightly lower head and so will have to change  to a pitchback configuration.

rcavictim

Looking really good there KeithO!
"There are more worlds than the one you can hold in your hand."   Albert Hosteen, Navajo spiritual elder and code-breaker,  X-Files TV Series.