News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

EDPM Liner Material

Started by WStayton, April 09, 2011, 12:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowGear

Hey Wayne,

I finally found the right spot.  Wow, an actual budget.  Are you trying to kill this dream?

Remember when a couple of people recommended you just crap rig one (1) to see what would happen?  A good strong shot of "trial and failure" science might be worth revisiting (ever notice its not "trial and success").  OK!  Pretend science but it can be a lot of fun too.  Maybe on the driveway as a safety thing and the lights better for YouTube.  "Hey honey, watch me do this."

Casey

mobile_bob

Wayne:

your playing to a tough crowd here!

all i can say is that, i am glad i don't share all my math leading up to construction of any of my projects, these guys would either
have eyes glazed over or would soundly beat me with a wet noodle!

:)

only thing i might take exception to is the addition of 10% ontop of the budget, if it were me i would figure 20% and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

keep up the good work,

btw, i like the thought you put into your work, the math and the budgeting, in my opinion more folks could benefit from doing the same before
they ever go out into the shop.

as my old shop teacher used to say

"why to we draw up plans in mechanical drawing?... because paper is cheaper than steal, wood and labor"

always made sense to me.

bob g

WStayton

Ok, I finally (!!) figured out how to move this post to where it belongs!  <grin>

This is just a FWIW update:

I finally got around to pushing a pencil/spreadsheet to figure out what my string of four 4' x 4' x 5.5' tanks are goiing to cost.  The final result was just over $1,000 per tank, or $4,000 for the string of four of them.

The system envisioned is to have the four tanks, in a row, with 5.5" of hi temp, R-7 foam insulation between them, and around, and on top and bottom of them.  A top banding of 3 thick 2" x 6"' along and between them will keep everything contained/assembled  and provide the space for the 5.5" of foam. Also, there will be a layer of 1" foam on the inside of the "boxes" as additional insulation and to cover up all the screw heads and eliminate them as a problem source.  Each tank will also have three 2" x 6 ' uprights on each side to provide stiffening for the 23/32" plywood sides which will be cut from a 4' x 8' sheet, each, so, no joint in the middle!  (See, I do listen . . . sometimes! <grin>}  between the two corner uprights will be a triangular half of a 2" x 2", in each corner, for stiffening, as weel as another half a 2" x 2" on the inside of the corner.  The bottom of the box will be made from the four pieces of 23/32" plywood cut off of the side pieces.  These bottom pieces will be a double thickness. with the seam in one layer running at right angles to the seam in the other layer, with a 2" x 6" running in both directions under the bottom to provide the space in which to place the 5.5" of insulation and to screw the floor pieces down to to provide them support/clamping until the resourcinal glue has a chance to cure.  Resourcinol will also be used in all of the upright-to-box, and corner-reinforcements-to-box and top band joints.  To band the bottom, I will use a 2" x 4" glued and screwed, with its  3.5" side to the bottom plywood layer.  The exterior will be covered with 3/32 plywood to protect the foam.  The cover will be a "box" of 1" x 6" containing the foam and having a 3/32" top and bottom layer with an EDPM layer on the bottom to provide water proofing.  I will attemp to use one piece of EDPM .045 material to line all four "boxes" with the adjacent sides being 1.5" shorter than the non-adjacent side, allowing space for the connecting plastic Schedule 40 piper connections to run and be covered with a top layer of 1" x 6" plastic moulding-trim material to clamp the pipes/EDPM in place and the same 1" x 6" plastic trim/molding material along the sides and absolute end to, again, clamp the EDPM down.

The cost breakdown was, approximately:

Materials to fabricate the four boxes:               $1,160.00
    Material to reinforce the outsides: (vert 2x6)         150.00
    Insulating foam to 5.5" - multiple layers req          1,500.00
    Outside sheathing                                              150.00
    Screws - 40 lbs (overkill - cheaper than by #)          80.00
    Resourcinol "glue"                                               150.00
    Primer & Paint                                                    100.00
    EDPM liner material 16.5' x 100'                             750.00

TOTAL         $4,040.00

Note: everything has been rounded UP to the next $10 increment - hoping that this bit over-estimating will compensate for the things that I have forgotten, but my experience is that I should REALLY allow another 10% for things that I have left out.

Next is the figuring for the plumbing/heat exchangers/etc.

The $1,160 to build the boxes is compared to $400 if I just used the 320 gallon shipping containers as originally envisioned - so that is $800 to do it right not cheap - painful, but it's only about 18% of the total, so, in the larger scheme of things, its certainly worth 18% to be much more nearly sure that I won't have a problem.

I'll be back in about six-eight months to tell you how close my estimate was!

As always thanx for the input and for reading my wordy drivel!

Regardz,

Wayne Stayton

Mercedes OM616 Four Cylinder Driving ST-24