Indirect Fired Hot Water Makers. Brands and sizes.

Started by Henry W, October 07, 2009, 09:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry W

This might be a good place to post different Brands and sizes of Indirect Fired hot water makers.

They are much safer than regular storage tanks because of the coil inside the tank.
This would prevent water contamination from engine exhaust gas, coolent or oil.

There are some Indirect Fired Hot Water Maker brands that have a double wall coil so if the inner wall ruptures the contaminants will be vented to the atmosphere. This is a pretty good option to have and it should be required for all systems that is tied to drinking water.

Here is one Brand that I used in the past.

http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/bmclassicbroch.pdf

Henry

TimSR2

I have 2 of these Amtrol HC-7 41 gallon units. They don't have  double wall heat exchangers.  They use a single wall copper finned tube heat transfer coil.
Excellent units though a bit expensive. They use polyurethane foam insulation and a polyethylene liner and are extremely long lived.

TimSR2

Henry W

I installed my good share of those in the early 90's. Had no complaints with them. And they look nice also.

Henry

veggie

Quote from: hwew on October 07, 2009, 09:50:24 PM
This might be a good place to post different Brands and sizes of Indirect Fired hot water makers.

They are much safer than regular storage tanks because of the coil inside the tank.
This would prevent water contamination from engine exhaust gas, coolent or oil.

There are some Indirect Fired Hot Water Maker brands that have a double wall coil so if the inner wall ruptures the contaminants will be vented to the atmosphere. This is a pretty good option to have and it should be required for all systems that is tied to drinking water.

Here is one Brand that I used in the past.

http://www.amtrol.com/pdf/bmclassicbroch.pdf

Henry

Henry,

I want to put a tank ahead of my gas fired hot water heater to pre-heat water using solar or engine coolant heat.
Is this the type of tank I would use? or are these made specifically for external boilers?

Veggie

veggie

Actually Jens, you were next on my list as I know you are storing hot water.
I want to pre-heat the domestic hot water so the regular hot water heater does not have to burn much natural gas. There are tanks with internal coils but it's probably just a easy (and maybe cheaper) to put a plate exchanger just outside the pre-heat tank. Can you recommend a good style of tank for storage. Size is yet to be determined.
Heat for the per-heater will come from a rooftop solar water heat and engine coolant.
(Internal corrosion??)

Veggie