Stealth muffler for Chinese diesels (Changfa, changchai, laidong, Jiangdong)

Started by veggie, June 17, 2023, 07:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

For those in urban locations, the double-tank muffler design can be a very effective way of running your noisy Chinese diesel in a stealthy way.
I designed this one using two 15 gallon air compressor tanks.
It was designed for my 6/1 Listeroid but here I am testing it on the Changfa generator.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EefDlxHy1uU

Tom Reed

Looks good and quiet indeed. Anything in the tanks and what size pipe is between the tanks?
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom

playdiesel

The best of function and appearance is expected of your projects Veggie.

I just finished moving my 1115 set to a new location further away from the house. Closest neighbor is a mile away but must keep wife happy too! Can't hear it run now and its sitting on 1 1/2 yards of concrete but it still pounds the ground enough that we know its running.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

veggie

Quote from: Tom Reed on June 17, 2023, 08:18:56 PMLooks good and quiet indeed. Anything in the tanks and what size pipe is between the tanks?

@Tom

The two tanks are empty. Basically they are expansion chambers to reduce the pulse.
They are connected with a 2" piece of pipe. Can be welded or threaded.
Also at the very bottom of the lower tank is a 1/2" pipe nipple (welded in place) with a water bleed valve.
It drains approx 1 liter every 2 hrs of running. I have a ball valve on it, so when running I just open the valve and leave it open. Then close it after the run session.

Tom Reed

Thanks Veggie, I've got a single 20lb propane tank on my listeroid with a baffled outlet and it's not nearly as quite as that. It's weird though as the sound is very directional. Fortunately the nearest neighbor is about a mile away, so they don't hear it.
Ashwamegh 6/1 - ST5 @ just over 4000 hrs
ChangChi NM195
Witte BD Generator

Tom