Purchased a Changfa R165 watercooled diesel engine, question about flywheel play

Started by Jesse McB, December 03, 2016, 05:52:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse McB

Well today i cleaned up all the engines parts, no more blue paint! I swear i never want to see blue ever again! If any of you are going to repaint your engine use oven cleaner spray the heck outta the block and let it sit over nite covered with plastic to keep it evaporating. It will all wash off with water next day!, use easy off it woks! Saves from getting black snot using a wire wheel!!! It will remove the glyptol paint inside so be careful!  I used it to remove the paint on the pulley aswell. All the screws i put them in a bag with oven cleaner and it removed the paint flawless. Thank gosh saved me hours of time!  Well now whats left is to buy the parts to finish the engine, i purchased a new 6204 bearing for my camshaft . Now looking for two 6307 bearings for the crankshaft. Im buying a new cylinder sleeve and piston kit off aliexpress, and i need a few other parts, head gasket, conrod bearings, throttle spring "i destroyed it with the wire wheel brush" the engine has no camshaft bearing lock bolt so i have to order one aswell. and the valve guides dont look pretty so ill get new ones aswell. Besides that every other part is perfect. i found casting sand inside the crankshaft oil bore for the crank journal! :o and i removed alot of burs in the crank case,  Yeap i swear i gave this engine a second chance it would last only 100 hours max before catastrophe happens  ;D Im so glad i ripped it all apart. Now i gotta buy the new parts needed, a torque wrench, and some engine paint. Next will be the construction of the generator system. I will be using a unpressurized thermostate electric pump system, the thermostate will be in the engines top plate ill make for the water outlet, the water intake will be the cylinders drainage port. Im using an electric water pump and a super small Yamaha banshee radiator wih a 6" fan, yes its really small but perfect size for this little pixy diesel  ;D Im going to attach a oil gear pump driven buy small 12v dc motor to allow a real oil filter system with a screw on oil filter, to lengthen oil and engine life, plus it will add more oil volume, Im going to use a chevy alternator.  Since the engine is so small and ill be using 50/50 wvo and diesel the power output will be efficient. Im thinking since its rated at 3hp it will guzzle 600ml of fuel max load 1200 watts at 2600 rmp, not bad. Ill be using it at half load so it should burn about 400 ml hr with 600 watt load on the alternator at 1800 RPM. I will know if this works when i do the real testing.
"There's nothing like the off grid isolated feeling"

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

Well i did a little experiment today and it worked great! I got the crank shaft and left it in the freezer for few hours, i got one of the old 6307 crank bearings and put it in a ballon and tied it up sealed tight. I heated the bearing in a pot of boiling water for 10 min. I quickly grabbed the frozen crankshaft and took the bearing outta the pot of water and removed the balloon, it kept it nice and dry. I grabbed the hot bearing with a cloth and with the crankshaft ready the bearing actually slid right on the cranks shaft so easily! So i know now that i only need to heat the bearing up to 100 C with boiling water and use a deep freeze for cooling. That all figured out i now know the engine block only needs heating up to 100C for installing the complete crank assembly. Im looking to purchase 2 SKF 6307 bearings, im looking on ebay for them lol, they are pricey but i want quality.
And some more good news for all you changfa owners! I manage to find another webiste that sells parts, its called  yoycart, i purchased 4 head gaskets for my R165 for $10 cad shipping included! Also i got a 5 pack of conrod bearings shipping included for $15, its direct from factory. Ill let everyone know when the parts arrive hopefully they are good quality! ! They have every parts you ever want for any china engine.

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

playdiesel

Be sure to fill us in on how those direct shipments go. I have been looking at some parts through Alibaba because there are some guaranties there as for transfers of money. I have also purchased many items direct from China through Ebay without a hitch but there are also horror stories,,,,  I dont have much call for parts but would be nice to know some trustworthy sources.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Jesse McB

Quote from: playdiesel on January 13, 2017, 07:21:07 AM
Be sure to fill us in on how those direct shipments go. I have been looking at some parts through Alibaba because there are some guaranties there as for transfers of money. I have also purchased many items direct from China through Ebay without a hitch but there are also horror stories,,,,  I dont have much call for parts but would be nice to know some trustworthy sources.

Ill be posting the good news when the parts arrive! And Alibaba has changed for the better you can purchase with a credit card finally before  it was just bank transfer.  I haven't tried it yet but im talking with a few sellers on alibaba looking for a total valve replacement kit. The way to get their attention is to act like you want a sample and that your looking to buy a big lot if the sample piece is good. They know your checking other companies products as well so they will know they got beaten by price or quality if you never return for buisness.   ::)
Well today i manage to find 2 SKF 6307 bearings on ebay brand new, they arnt cheap either! They will be here tuesday. Now im gonna need to get a new oil seal for the crankshaft and get some gasket paper and make some gaskets! :)

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

Well the new crank bearings arrived in mail today! Nice brand new never open SKF bearings  ;D no Chinese cheap brands in this engine soon ! I will now need to order some fel-pro gasket material sizes 1/64 for the bearing housing and 1/32 for the rest of the engines gaskets. And i need to purchase a new oil seal. Then ill be reinstalling the crankshaft into the engine which i cant wait its been in peices for a few months :-[

Heres a picture of the SKF bearings next to the china ones.

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

The first thing youll notice is the china bearings rivots on the ball retainer are much smaller then the SKF bearings, check at the picture!  :D

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

I got the bearings installed on the crankshaft and camshaft! ;D

I used the balloon with hot water and deep freeze cooling methods i mentioned earlier in this thread.

The 100 C heated crank bearings dropped right on the frozen crankshaft with no problems! I used leather gloves to handle the hot bearings. The camshaft was different the bearing was small it cooled of too quick so it didnt drop in place, so i had to use the hammer and punch methode on the inner race of course. Im happy i got US name brand SKF bearings for the engines crank no more china bearings yay! I had to replace the bearings anyways because the engine had some casting sand in it and the test run i did may had ruined them !? 8)

Now all i need to order is the cranshaft oil seal and some gasket paper and i can start assembling the crankcase and gears. I dont like having the engine in peices even though the parts are carefully in place and organize, just loosing any little part will just mean more money to spend to replace it.

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

veggie

Jesse,
Good job !

I'm looking forward to seeing this little engine running.
Be sure to post a YouTube video if you can  ;)

keep the updates coming,
Veggie

Jesse McB

Thankyou! I posted a link of the engine running on the first page, here it is again. This is the engine before i stripped it all apart lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGe2CsB-Jz8

I will have more posted soon of the reassemblly and paint job!  im waiting on the crank oil seal to come in the mail, and im going to order some gasket paper from amazon. So i can start assembling, They have felpro gasket material for good deal. $20 and i will have enouph to make many gaskets,  1/64 sheet for the main bearing housing, and all the rest of the gaskets are 1/32 sized. I made sure i measured the existing old gaskets  ;D Ill have a fresh pack of 10 headgaskets and a 5 pack of rod bearings arriving soon from china  8) another thing to mention is im saving up my veggie oil from my deep fryer lol, yes we use it alot in our household. Every week we change the oil. so ill mix it 50/50 with diesel to make a fuel blend it will be a cool living experiment For this summer when i go down to my cabin for a month. Ill need to save up about 45 liters of oil, thinking ill be burning  3 liters a day, for a month, that be 90 liters total after mixing 50/50 diesel and veggie oil. Thats alittle under 200 hours of run time, it probly wont even break in during that time lol  

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

Fiinally i got the gasket material and the crank oil seal in the mail today!  8)

I came home from work today very happy knowing that i can work on the pixy diesel again!  ;D
So right now im working on cutting new gaskets, installing the oil seal, and im going to drop the crankshaft assembly in the block by using the hot and cold method. So that means im going to assemble the entire engine tonite, only thing is i wont be torquing anything tight till i have a torqe wrench. And I still have to buy the cylinder sleeve and piston kit.
Also im waiting for a package from china, 6 head gaskets and 6 sets of con rod bearings, it should be here next week!  :)

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

Its assembled!!! Yay!! My plan to install the crankshaft assembly worked great!!! I froze the crankshaft assembly and chamshaft in my deepfreeze for 4 hours, i heated the crankcase at 220f in my kitchen oven for 1.5 hours.
I heated the bearing housing in boiling water, when it got to temperature i slipped it right on the crank assembly flywheel side. I slipped on the new bearing housing gasket, and then refreeze the crank assembly. Then I installed the tappets!!,  ;D I got the frozen camshaft assembly and it slid right in its bore :) Right after this i got the fully complete crankshaft assembly and dropped it right into its crankcase bore flawlessly. Then hand tighten the nuts and bolts. I finally got the engine assembled!!  8)

Now just need that parts package from china! Con bearings, head gaskets, throttle spring, and valve guides. Here are some pictures!  

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Jesse McB

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

Carlb

My Projects
Metro 6/1  Diesel / Natural Gas, Backup Generator  
22kw Solar in three arrays 
2.5kw 3.7 meter wind turbine
2 Solar Air heaters  Totaling 150 Sq/Ft
1969 Camaro 560hp 4 speed automatic with overdrive
2005 Infiniti G35 coupe 6 speed manual transmission

Jesse McB

I have a question that i hope someone may have a good answer for,  the cylinder sleeve has a scratch running through it, i. I feel it no problem with My finger nail. Below is a picture, im wondering if its still good to use or not?  The piston has a scratch aswell on its skirt, same thing im woundering if they are usable or not? the scratches was from casting sand.

The scratch actually misses most of the combustion side of the cylinder.      

R165 3HP Changfa
R170 4HP Yashida
EL-300-AR 4.5HP Kubota

veggie

Jesse,

Here's what I do in those situations...

Cylinder:
Get (or borrow) a cylinder Hone and give it a very light Hone job while lubricating with some light cutting oil.
Remember to slide the Hone in-and-out of the bore while rotating at a medium speed on your drill to establish the magic 45 degree cross hatch hone pattern.
Just a quick light hone, then inspect. No need to worry about material loss.

Piston:
I have had pistons much worse than yours. Take some ScotchBrite polishing wool (the none metallic stuff) and lightly buff it by hand .
You will be amazed at the result.

Hope this helps,
Veggie