Parts Ordering for Chinese Engines

Started by quinnf, February 22, 2012, 12:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quinnf

Regarding my stuck injection pump on my Changfa R175A which I talked about in this post:  http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=2577.msg29368#msg29368, I contacted George at Utterpower.com and asked his advice.  George very kindly arranged for me to get a replacement injection pump for my virgin Power Solutions Changfa R175A which had been sitting three years in an unopened shipping crate.  The injection pump was frozen from time and lack of use and I couldn't get it freed up.  Here's George's email to me:

Quinn, you can post the following if it meets your standard..

Quinn,

Thanks for volunteering to test the delivery of part(s) from our Associate in China who is attempting to source QC'd parts for us. My intention is not to mark up prices, but to help foster a business in China that will focus on North American Customers, charge a fair price for the best quality they can source for  we DIYers.

As for the old pump and getting it apart, I tell the story on my utterpower blog... along with a few notes so typical of these pumps. I didn't mention your name, and most who know you are aware that you don't miss much, it's true, I do own a bigger hammer than you do, and I did gloat a little :-) Had you been less of a DIYer, I would have found no joy :-)  Here's the link http://www.utterpower.com/a-frozen-injection-pump-fuel-rack-what-to-do/

The folks I've selected to deal with (in China) are just like us, they love tools, old engines, and the thrill of fabricating reliable power. These folks were educated in Oz, they have degrees in Business, but their hands on experience is what qualifies them to source QC, they know the heartaches of dealing with junk,  and they  know the ways of the West.  Sure thing, they might speak Ozzie instead of English, in addition, they speak the Chinese languages, and this is really the only way you find the better sources... language barriers kill you nearly every time.  These guys are excellent communicators none the less!  And among the more honorable people I know...

We just need wait till they get the payment system up, and it will likely be paypal of course.    

You will be the first to know it's ready to go, and when it is.. you can certainly share the news.

All the best,
George Utterpower.com

---------------------------------------

That said, I ordered the part on February 10.  I expected to see it in a couple of weeks or so.  Check out the tracking timelines and note the miles this part traveled in just 3 days, shipped International Economy!  

Qingdao CN
Beijing, CN
Incheon, KR
Anchorage, AK
Memphis, TN
Los Angeles, CA
Irvine, CA
Laguna Beach, CA

I don't know what the shipping cost because the payment mechanism isn't yet in place.  But I'm impressed with how Fed Ex gets stuff to its destination!  Look at the tracking information:

Thanks, George and Lee and David for shipping me the pump.  I applaud your initiative in setting up a distribution channel to North America.

Quinn

playdiesel

Thanks Quinn, I have a few Chinese singles around here in various states of repair. So do we contact George with parts requests or are those Chinese fellows going make themselves known for direct contact?
Butch
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

mobile_bob

yes, please advise us on whom to contact Quinn

got a few changfa's that i would like some spares for too.

bob g

quinnf

All I know is the PayPal account hasn't yet been created so I can't pay Lee for my pump (yet).  George doesn't post on forums.  He wrote:  "You will be the first to know it's ready to go, and when it is.. you can certainly share the news," so I expect he doesn't know because he's not the one putting the deal together.  I'll ask for clarification and post back here to save him the trouble of replying to individual requests.

q.

quinnf

Guys,

George says he doesn't have any idea when parts ordering will be availability.  Soon, he hopes.  My impression is it's not him who's doing this, but rather his associates in China.  Sorry if my post raised any hopes.  I was just happy to be able to get a new IP to replace the stuck one.  As a bonus I learned that something is in the works by someone in China to get parts directly to North America, so I passed that along.

So for now, it's "hurry up and wait."  I'll post back here as soon as I hear anything.  

Quinn

LincTex

With all the sellers on eBay shipping from China, you would think a paypal account would be pretty easy to setup.
Metro 6-1 from Sam Crosby, 2007
Chang Chai 1110 - 18 HP

deeiche

Quote from: LincTex on February 24, 2012, 05:09:48 AM
With all the sellers on eBay shipping from China, you would think a paypal account would be pretty easy to setup.
Setting up the PayPal account is easy, it is getting money into China.

The chinese companies I've dealt with that take PayPal are Hong Kong based, which is a special economic/political zone.  Any time I've dealt with a company in the remainder of china payment has been done via wire transfer.  This money goes into their account at a gov't bank, where it gets converted to yuan at the gov't controlled exchange rate.

quinnf

Lee is in Malaysia and is working with another guy who, I gather, is on the mainland, so there's some coordination to be done.  I've ordered stuff through Hong Kong, too, and it's arrived OK, though it's taken a couple of weeks.  

vdubnut62

Yep, Hong Kong is pretty easy, albeit somewhat slow. Mainland China is a whole 'nother animal.
Ron.

Oh, thanks QuinnF for all you do and keep us in the loop, I've got an S1100 that needs a set of spares!!
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

playdiesel

I don't make any claim to knowing how it all works between here and China but I took a chance and ordered a charger and two spare batteries for my Blackberry from Ebay for some unbelievable low price like $9 including the shipping. Seller takes PayPal and in just over a week I had a air mail package that showed no sign of being opened and inspected by customs, My salesman did the same thing for his Droid. Cant remember the exact place in China it shipped from but it wasn't Hong Kong.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

quinnf

Parts for Chinese engines are now available to be ordered.

Check out http://www.utterpower.com/the-chinese-engine-parts-connection-lee-and-david/

Lee has got his PayPal accounts set up and George says he's good to go.  George's message says it all, so I won't waste your time repeating it here.  

If you're in need of a part, give Lee a shout at swleepp@gmail.com with the make and model of your engine, and the part number from the manual, if possible,  and he should be able to help you.  

A word to the wise:  in my first contact with Lee, I asked for an injection pump for the CF R175A and there was some confusion as to terminology.  The manual calls the injection pump an "oil pump" while the fuel injector is called something very similar to injector pump.  I ended up scanning the part diagram and part description, circling the part number and part description I wanted and e-mailing that to Lee to make sure there was no misunderstanding.

Lee's english is excellent.  But be aware that differences in terminology used by the Chinese manufacturer and North American end user make it easy for misunderstandings to occur.  

Quinn

bschwartz

Sounds Awesome!!

Does anyone have a manual (or scan) for an R170 ?  I can't find one on the net.
- Brett

Metro 6/1, ST-5 - sold :(
1982 300SD
1995 Suburban 6.5 TD
1994 Ford F-250 7.3 TD
1950s ? Oilwell (Witte) CD-12 (Behemoth), ST-12
What else can I run on WVO?
...Oh, and an old R-170

Henry W

Quote from: quinnf on March 01, 2012, 11:03:18 AM
Parts for Chinese engines are now available to be ordered.

Check out http://www.utterpower.com/the-chinese-engine-parts-connection-lee-and-david/

Lee has got his PayPal accounts set up and George says he's good to go.  George's message says it all, so I won't waste your time repeating it here.  

If you're in need of a part, give Lee a shout at swleepp@gmail.com with the make and model of your engine, and the part number from the manual, if possible,  and he should be able to help you.  

A word to the wise:  in my first contact with Lee, I asked for an injection pump for the CF R175A and there was some confusion as to terminology.  The manual calls the injection pump an "oil pump" while the fuel injector is called something very similar to injector pump.  I ended up scanning the part diagram and part description, circling the part number and part description I wanted and e-mailing that to Lee to make sure there was no misunderstanding.

Lee's english is excellent.  But be aware that differences in terminology used by the Chinese manufacturer and North American end user make it easy for misunderstandings to occur.  

Quinn

The chinese engine parts connection is now listed in the Dealers Registry. This will help members and other DIYers locate the info easily to purchase parts.

http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=2652.msg30237#msg30237

Henry

pekkap

i have ordered parts  from china because there are no changfa resales even near finland. it is most important thing that you put detailed model and use always part no. that way there wont be any problems. btw prize for single parts are high because they use mostly airways. at least in here. air freight to finland was 30$ at first 0.5kg and then +15$ for every 0.5kg.

ryanw95

has anyone else ordered or emailed these guys yet? I've emailed them this past Friday. How quick should I expect a response? Maybe I'm just impatient.
handfull of horizontal water-cooled Changfa-style motors, in tractor, generators, etc.