News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Need some generator head info

Started by Cavalry, April 02, 2011, 06:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavalry

I am looking at this generator head but am a little confused.  The tag states 6KW but the math on the tag works out to 5.5KW?

Is the tag KW rating the peak or running rating?

seabattery

I got a 2.5kw generator head from ebay for $100 (including shipping)
Then I got a 6hp engine from Harbor Freight (also $100 on sale)

I clamped down the engine to a big trailer so it couldn't vibrate much while it ran.
I marked 3/4" from the end of the shaft with a sharpie. Then I marked 1/8" circle
from the 5/16" tapped hole in the end of the shaft.
I started the engine at low idle then I used an angle grinder with sandpaper
flap disk to shave the shaft conical at the end grinding down to the lines.
I bolted the genhead on to the motor and started it up. It ran perfectly. It has now been running daily for 3 months.
Email me at seabattery at gmail.com for pics/info if you want.

LowGear

Wow seabattery,

And no JB Weld?  Amazing!

Casey

seabattery

Yes actually I used JB on the gasifier fan to patch a hole and some on the VW muffler to get it just right.

Take pride in the tools you were given.
Take joy in the tools you earned.
Stay curious KID.

squarebob

WE need pictures. We thrive on the visual...................

Bob
GM90 6/1, 7.5 ST head, 150 Amp 24V Leece Neville, Delco 10si
Petter AA1 3.5 HP, 75 Amp 24V Leece Neville
2012 VW Sportwagen TDI, Average 39.1 MPG

TimSR2

Don't laugh guys.

When I was in high school the hands down fastest car in the school belonged to this hillbilly kid whose father was a retired mechanic.  For the record it was a 71 nova with a 400 small block. (but I digress)  We used to build our hotrods out of castoffs and leftovers and wrecking yard parts as there wasn't much money around.  The owner had found a nice set of 11 1/2 to one flat tops for  a good price, but they were .060 over, and he had a block that was bored .030.  So he hand milled them on an industrial belt sander until they had the right cylinder to wall clearance!  I was just completely offended, and told him it would never work.  It worked just fine, much to my chagrin.   

It was a legendary drag car, had 2 holley 600s on a tunnel ram and revved to 6500 all the time, every day.  4:10's in the rear and a 4 speed. Wild ride.   

The same car had the legendary "Langley Locker"  12 bolt rear end  ( 4 or 5 big sticks of 7018  at 150 amps, poured  into the spider gears in the rear end) .  But that's a complete other subject.     

vdubnut62

Quote from: seabattery on March 17, 2012, 09:29:21 AM
I got a 2.5kw generator head from ebay for $100 (including shipping)
Then I got a 6hp engine from Harbor Freight (also $100 on sale)

I clamped down the engine to a big trailer so it couldn't vibrate much while it ran.
I marked 3/4" from the end of the shaft with a sharpie. Then I marked 1/8" circle
from the 5/16" tapped hole in the end of the shaft.
I started the engine at low idle then I used an angle grinder with sandpaper
flap disk to shave the shaft conical at the end grinding down to the lines.
I bolted the genhead on to the motor and started it up. It ran perfectly. It has now been running daily for 3 months.
Email me at seabattery at gmail.com for pics/info if you want.

Hey this will work and very well too. I have a small air compressor that has been running for years using the  "run it and grind & drill till it fits" method of machining.
The motor shaft broke off even with the bearing. It's now running with an old 5/8 bolt finished in the way described above.
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous