News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Small gen head sources?

Started by panaceabeachbum, September 24, 2009, 08:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panaceabeachbum

I was looking for a couple of the cheap 3kw brushless gen heads sold by Harbor Freight . They no longer sell them in the store and I can only find the 10kw on their site .  I was planning to purchase that paticualr gen because they were cheap enough at $150 that i could put one in service and have a second on the shelf as a replacement.

What are the other options for small gen heads 2-3kw?    Ga Gen has the ST around $300 ,  Northern has a brushless for $450    any source for the ones HF was selling ? or a similar brushless gen for around $150?

mobile_bob

i see a ton of gensets on craiglist some pretty cheap if the engine is blown, or tired
often in the less than 100 dollar range.

realizing of course the genhead shares one brg with the engine main, and it is mounted on a taper

what if a machinist type guy (wink, nod) were to make up a brg mounted taper adapter?
i think most of these small genset use the same taper, and same mount pattern to the engine.

looks like a way of putting to use a lot of generator heads that are going to the dump otherwise,
maybe you can find a 3500 or 5kwatt genhead cheap enough to suit your needs?

myself i would look for a 5kwatt, that way you can get 3kwatt and at likely a bit higher efficiency than
3kwatt from a 3 kwatt head.

thoughts?

bob g

panaceabeachbum

thats a pretty good idea, I will have to watch the newspaper.   HF has a decent 6hp over head valve generator on sale currently for $199, with the 20% off cupon in this months magazines it would only be $160 and could end up with a decent engine to boot

veggie

Try these guys. I have two of the model AB50 and they are built fairly tough.
They are bi-directional (just like a girlfriend I used to have  ;) ).
And they can be belt driven or direct driven.

http://www.voltmasteramerica.com/products/AB.htm

Cheers,
Veggie

panaceabeachbum

how do you go about ordering from them ? I cant seem to find any pricing either

lowspeedlife

That looks like the standard Mecc Alta gen head, they also make them to bolt directly to the bolt circle on the bacl of a briggs/kohler (standard sae flange i believe)  I bought a couple of 5kw units from Blast Wholesale LLC. in Forsyth, MO. I got them thru EBAY but  they show two web addresses sales@blastwholesale  & www.blastwholesale.com. phone # 800-811-4107.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

veggie

Quote from: panaceabeachbum on September 24, 2009, 10:14:03 PM
how do you go about ordering from them ? I cant seem to find any pricing either

Click the "contacts" link, and give them a call. (Or email them).
They will point you to the closest dealer in your area.

Good luck,
Veggie

panaceabeachbum

I still havent found anything quite as cheap as the $150 2 bearing gen HF Had

panaceabeachbum

Veg I took your reccomendation and ordered the ab50 . Thanks

veggie

Quote from: panaceabeachbum on September 29, 2009, 11:58:25 AM
Veg I took your reccomendation and ordered the ab50 . Thanks

I don't think you will regret it. I had mine apart last month and it's built really well inside.
Easy to work on, standard bearings (when the time comes), ready wired with plugs and overload protection, and it even has a volt meter. They really are great little units.
Oh yes! they are bi directional ! (like that girlfriend I used to have)

Be sure to post pictures when you have it mounted.

Cheers,
Veggie