Kubota D722, belt driven, 7500 watt, generator project…

Started by keith71, April 12, 2022, 03:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggie

Same here,

That's the one I used on the Z482.
Bolted directly to the flywheel.
Then... slide your pulley all the way onto the shaft to reduce overhung load.

veggie

Henry W

Keith, any progress? I'm looking forward hearing how it's coming along.

keith71

Quote from: Henry W on May 20, 2022, 02:39:56 PMKeith, any progress? I'm looking forward hearing how it's coming along.
Hi Henry, Project is proceeding although much slower than I would like. I am very busy this time of year with my job. 50 hours a week does not leave alot of time for my projects. Also too many things to do around the house. The darn grass grows about 4 inches a week this time of year, as you know..               

I also have some questions on my build that I do not have answers for yet. One of my main problems is that I need to come up with an application to use for my kubota. So I can order parts. Yes it came out of a generator, but many things are different in the way kubota made this engine for onan, or the way onan modified it for their use.

Most generators are a fixed speed engine. Say someone wants to use their fixed speed engine in say a tractor. Now they need a variable speed setup. The issue I have is My D722 is already a variable speed engine as it was used in a invertor generator setup that ran between 1600-3200 rpm . Rpm was varied I assume by the invertor that sent a specific voltage signal to the electronic throttle control. (has 2 wires going to it, and a magnet of some sort to turn the throttle).

I need to eliminate this kind of throttle control and go with a standard kubota throttle linkage setup.The issue then becomes what model of equipment do I use to get parts. The D722 was used for probably 50 or more different pieces of equipment in its 25-30 year production run.

I guess I need the standard throttle setup with the shut off solenoid as well.

What would be really cool is if I could figure a way to just incorporate my original electro magnet to my meccalte genrator head and vary the speed depending on load like Onan originally did. I am going to get the onan manuals for my model generator. I still have the original Invertor controller for the Onan generator. But it may not be needed to control the variable speed but not sure on that yet..

I will try to post some pictures of what Im talking about. I posted some pictures before but not sure where they are on the forum, have not looked yet..
Anyway sorry for the rediculously long post. Not to good at getting thoughts into writing I guess.     
My problem is I am not using the invertor part of the generator anymore.
Kubota D722
10HP Diesel Air cooled 186fa yanmar clone                                                         
12/2   Field Marshall CS Lister clone
 R170 Jiangdong  (needs some work)

keith71

I guess all the pictures I originally loaded are on the first page of this thread. But there is no preview as to what the picture is, so people would have to just randomly click on blind pics to find what they are looking for. I will try to repost the pictures.
Kubota D722

keith71

Do you think I should just use a reefer unit model number to get parts for my Kubota?  Does Kubota have a universal industial D722 engine like Cat does with their C4.4 engine or Cummins with their universal 4BT3.9 engines? thanks.
Kubota D722

Henry W

My Kubota D1005 was a Bobcat spec'd engine. All the internals were the same as Kubota universal spec'd engine. Some external parts like the oil pan, intake manifold and and a few other odds and ends were different but not enough to make a conversion difficult. With your Onan spec'd engine, I would imagine internal parts would be the same. But I cant be a 100% sure.

If your able, post a few pics of the electronic throttle controller on the engine. We might be able to get some info about it. I'm wondering if the rpm's is controlled by variable voltage. If that is the case it might be able to be controlled by Some type of variac or trim pot setup. If you get the manual it should be a huge help.

Oh, Grass. That is what I'm doing at this moment. Trying to beat the heat.

Henry W

Keith,
I been looking at a throttle control for a Kubota D722 on ebay.
I'm wondering if it would work on your engine.

Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/374098605848

keith71

Henry, it looks like it would. And it looks like a fuel shut off solenoid can be bolted to it. Pretty good price as well. I am working on building some engine mounts as well. The original Onan frame is aluminum with rubber mounts. Not going to work for this project. Thanks.
Kubota D722