we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Camshaft

Started by oiler, May 06, 2010, 01:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i know we can get a foundry to cast up some cast steel or cast iron blanks
you just need a pattern, which is generally made of wood

our local foundry will do short runs, if one is not in a hurry and can wait till they run another project
they will then finish up with the small projects

they do mainly cast steel i am told.

bob g

XYZER

you don't even need to carve one out of wood....just sit down with some bees wax and give an original some beef where you want it and some draft where you need it and walla you have a master.....cast 5 or so in aluminum and you are in production.... 
Vidhata 6/1, Power Solutions 6/1, Kubota Z482

Horsepoor

I'd be willing to buy an accurate camshaft for a twin in the $300 range. I'll bet there are hundreds of people around the world wide willing to do the same with most of those willing to buy in the US. Other places probably dont care about having a precision camshaft, for a couple hundred dollars they just buy another engine. Anyway, I'm interested but only if the price can be held down to say $300, any more significantly reduces the potential sales market.

vdubnut62

JohnF, I hope your cam guy down here isn't under water!
Ron
When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny -- Thomas Jefferson

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

rec409

SOOOOOOO..... whats the Update on this?? OH
and since Im here.. Im a new member.. I live in Alaska. My father and I both have Listeroids. his is a 12/1 Powerline.  And Mine is a Metro 12/2.  Anyways Im interested in the Camshaft bit for my twin, Also Im interested in someone that can lead my to find a Offset Idler gear bolt.. ANYONE??

Anyways Im Robert, Dads, Frank.

lowspeedlife

Your looking for a member here called XYZER he has a post on the forum here most likely in the "things for sale" section Wherehe was asking who wanted one.  here's a link to those posts It's actually in the parts wanted section of the forum.         http://www.microcogen.info/index.php?topic=936.0    My understanding is the cams are under going  testing if the cam guy is not under water from the recent floods. I too am interested in them.

Scott R.
Old Iron For A New Age

rec409

Great thanks much
didnt think he was going to make another run from what things I HAD read. I left him a message Hope he makes more...

lowspeedlife

he also makes hollow oil dippers for use with con rod bearings that do not have the groves in the top shell, the grooves in the top shell reduce the abillity of the top shell to resist the load placed upon them in running & prevents debris from getting into them from the oil running down the con rods & into the oil holes normally used to supply oil to the bearings. I'm hoping he'll make a run of dippers soon too.

Scott  R.

Old Iron For A New Age

JohnF

My cam guy isn't under water!  I do have a slight delay,the Indian manufacturer didn't send me any cam gear weights in the spares order so they are now on the way.  Meanwhile I have a few spare weights around from previously destroyed cams that we should be able to make up 3 or 4 shafts.  I have several spare twins of various ages down in Tennessee so they will be the test engines, my guy is doing heroic work in measuring and recording data - he's much better at that stuff than I am.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

rec409

Quote from: lowspeedlife on June 04, 2010, 09:10:58 PM
he also makes hollow oil dippers for use with con rod bearings that do not have the groves in the top shell, the grooves in the top shell reduce the abillity of the top shell to resist the load placed upon them in running & prevents debris from getting into them from the oil running down the con rods & into the oil holes normally used to supply oil to the bearings. I'm hoping he'll make a run of dippers soon too.

Scott  R.

so where do you get these NON-oilgroove bearing shells?
Yes I hopo he will make some more Dippers as well Id like a set for my twin.

JohnF

`I have a few non-oilgroove dippers left in stock, they were a special order.  If there is enough interest I can look into getting some more.  The upper shell is completely plain, the lower shell has the same grooves as a standard dipper.  If anyone is interested, PM me.
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca
Listers, Changfas, Redstones, AG's and anything else diesel I can get my hands on!

rec409

Non oil groove Bearing shells you mean?? upper and lower if thats correct then how much and Yeah I think Id want a set for a twin so 2 sets. upper and lowers.

Crofter

Like this but better focused!
Frank

10-1 Jkson / ST-5

rec409

ok what ya want for'em...

these are supposed to be better, from what ive heard they dont harbor fine metals in the grooves and and better metals, correct?

I suppose I should be getting  hollow dippers for these as well, Hope I can find those...

JohnF

The upper shell is plain - no grooves or holes.  The lower shell is the same as a standard one (but likely better made!)  These shells CANNOT be used without a hollow dipper - that is how the oil gets into the bearing.  I don't want to pee off the admin of the board, so please send me a PM to John@woodnstuff.ca
John F
www.woodnstuff.ca