News:

we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

Cam timing the easy way

Started by playdiesel, August 13, 2020, 02:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

Over the years there has been a good bit of fret over getting the cam timing right when the idler has been removed for what ever reason. Here is how to get your timing right the easy way.

First thing is to turn the cam until both lifters are all the way down. Using a fine tip manic marker place a mark on the lifter body as close to the top of the guide as you can. How close os not as important as both being the same.  Next roll the cam over until you are at over lap, both lifters are partially raised but going opposite directions. Position tbe cam so both of your marks are the same height above the guide. Next move the crankshaft throw straight up.  Then slide the idler gear in place, it won't mesh unless you move the crank back a little bit then move it back forward. Then hold the gear in mesh while you move the crank far enough to install the idler bolt.  Double check your work by rolling the flywheels until the lifter marks are once again even and look at the crank throw posistion, it should at TDC or VERY slightly before, never after TDC.

Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

And if I have confused you, watch my youbtube video.

https://youtu.be/irFF4LSZZfg
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

BruceM

A great educational video, a real boon for me on my last engine rebuild.  Thanks Butch!

Henry W

A+++  You simplified the way to time these engines and many will benefit from your video.

It will be stickied so it can be found easily.
Thank you,

Henry W

DKMC

Extremely happy to see Butch posting and sharing his valuable info on here