we are back up and running again!

Main Menu

shop work

Started by playdiesel, July 25, 2020, 08:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playdiesel

Hi all,
Thought I would share some shop work.
GTC 6/1 in for cleaning, correcting and assembly.  engine is actually all 8/1 other than the spiked flywheels. It came in along with a GM90 twin, first one of those I have ever seen in person and a Lister 6/1.  First phase is done, tear down and cleaned in the parrs washer.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

A GM-90 twin cylinder? I did not know a twin was made. I've seen GM-90 singles up to 20 or 22 hp and they are monsters. Please post some pics.

The 8-1 block casting looks good In the picture. Does the 8-1 have an aluminum piston? Looking forward seeing the build.

Henry

playdiesel

The 6/1 has Aluminum piston with same ring package as cast iron which is odd and another new one on me. Also has
no COV and the lighter governor weights. All 8/1 except the 'wheels. The engine is also 7 stud head, no wet liner, bushing mains and has two oil sumps as per Lister. Its always interesting to open one of these up and see what was used to build it.  I thought I had a picture of the GM90 but ca t find it on the phone, I will post one later.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

Thanks, :)
I lost lots of pics in a hard drive crash years ago. It's unfortunate but at least most of the important pics are saved on microcogen.

Henry

playdiesel

I had everything hosted on Tinypic and when it went away so did a lot of my pics, oh well. I am glad that Bob will host them here.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

Here is the GM90 twin and a 6/1 Lister behind it hardly visable.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

playdiesel

IMO India supplies what amounts to a set of parts which the ship as an assembled engine. At my little enterprise basic block work consists of cleaning in a hot caustic wash cabinet followed by bead blasting the interior to get rid of bad coatings, slag and sand. This is followed with needle scaler, chisels and punches removing all contaminants that can be removed. Then a oil resistant enamel is applied to seal in what was missed and embedded. All gasket surfaces are filed to remove burrs that cause leaks and springy assembly. Threads are chased, studs installed with a dab of sealer and the block is ready for assembly.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

Quote from: playdiesel on July 26, 2020, 11:46:15 AM

Wow! Someday, I would love to see the inside of it. I wonder if it has a counter balanced crank like the GM90 6/1.

Henry W

Quote from: playdiesel on July 26, 2020, 01:52:16 PM
IMO India supplies what amounts to a set of parts which the ship as an assembled engine. At my little enterprise basic block work consists of cleaning in a hot caustic wash cabinet followed by bead blasting the interior to get rid of bad coatings, slag and sand. This is followed with needle scaler, chisels and punches removing all contaminants that can be removed. Then a oil resistant enamel is applied to seal in what was missed and embedded. All gasket surfaces are filed to remove burrs that cause leaks and springy assembly. Threads are chased, studs installed with a dab of sealer and the block is ready for assembly.

Your certainly doing it right. Beautiful job! It's good to see builds happening here again. I can't wait to see more!

Henry

playdiesel

Quote from: Henry W on July 26, 2020, 05:50:43 PM
Quote from: playdiesel on July 26, 2020, 11:46:15 AM

Wow! Someday, I would love to see the inside of it. I wonder if it has a counter balanced crank like the GM90 6/1.

It will be following the 6/1 through the shop. these won't be as picture heavy as I would like due to my limited connection . Satellite internet is realy bad. I had to post on 4G data.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

That's fine, Right now I'm enjoying the project your working on. I also have slow internet service. For now we just have to use what we have.

Henry

playdiesel

On we go correcting parts. Every gasket mating surface on an India engine will have dents and raised areas from rough handling that cause leaks and springy feel during assembly. The cure is handiwork with a mill bastard file. The shiny area are high spots removed, about 5 minutes work.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate

Henry W

Actually they look better than some others I've seen. Looking good.

Henry W

How are the crank bearings? I hope they been installed properly. I seen a listeroid engine years ago that had huge dings on the thrust end. It looked like the slammed them in with a hammer. ::)

playdiesel

The bearings are in good shape, most are ruined during erecting or during the "flushing" process. Saves the owner some cash as they are quite spendy. This GTC branded engine is by far the best India engine I have ever laid my fingers on. All good parts, minimal sand.

After deburring the crank, filing down all the dings and checking it for straightness it is ready to install. Correct shimming is very important and much bad information has been posted previously. Be sure to stack shims with the cut side all same way, out or in makes no difference. Then as you slide  the housing up on the studs llift the shims up on the piloting flange so they don't get pinched between it and the face. For a bushing engine like this one it should be set up with .010" endplay with used bushings and .005- .008 with new ones. For tapered roller mains it is imperative that end play is set at .000 , No end play and NEVER any preload as preload bends the crank inward at the throw. No sealers are needed when the gasketing surfaces are properly prepped.
Fume and smoke addict
electricly illiterate